seed prices

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
Seems seed prices are kind of high this year, clover is usually under a buck a pound, not this year, how are prices elsewhere where you all live?

GMN

GMN":1q2y4614 said:
Seems seed prices are kind of high this year, clover is usually under a buck a pound, not this year, how are prices elsewhere where you all live?

GMN

A sort of "Concentration" is being applied in the seed business just as it is in other agriculture business ventures in the USA.

We will awaken one morning and have only a handful of seed companies that produce an overwhelming majority of all seeds.

We may be there now.

Seed is quite a bit higher this year than last and it has been steadily getting higher each year. There have been alot of people planting winter rye this year and most places have run completely out of it with no more to come until next year. I paid 12.75 per bushel for it this year and 8.50 for it last year

Paid $25 per 50# bag of Gulf Rye this year. Was thinking about bermuda in the spring but at $200 a 50# bag of hulled seed I don't think so.I put down 2000# of rye,if I did the same with the burmuda it would cost $8000. :shock:

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":39e1esww said:
Paid $25 per 50# bag of Gulf Rye this year. Was thinking about bermuda in the spring but at $200 a 50# bag of hulled seed I don't think so.I put down 2000# of rye,if I did the same with the burmuda it would cost $8000. :shock:

You only need to put out about 5 lbs of bermuda seed per acre, so your bermuda seed costs are around $20 per acre.

BC":2tzift2r said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2tzift2r said:

You only need to put out about 5 lbs of bermuda seed per acre, so your bermuda seed costs are around $20 per acre.
Don't think my spreader has a setting that low. :lol:

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":fdxfbhsl said:
. Don't think my spreader has a setting that low. :lol:

Mix something with the seed that has about the same density so the seed doesn't sift out. Coarse sand is pretty abrasive but it's been mixed with small seeds for years to allow more uniform seeding.

dun

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1gp2witd said:

Thats double for what cool grazer rye costs here, and I think it is too much now. Guess you got to be rich to afford that. :)

GMN

Bout every seed is up in price, from Clovers to Orchard Grass and Fescue. Seems with rising fuel prices, everyone gets on the bandwagon, or there's crop failure for the seed, due to drought or too much rain.

Crowderfarms":32padain said:
Bout every seed is up in price, from Clovers to Orchard Grass and Fescue. Seems with rising fuel prices, everyone gets on the bandwagon, or there's crop failure for the seed, due to drought or too much rain.

I did get that imppression yesterday when I called around, had an old seed flyer from 1-06, guess what? the prices were up on everything at least .25cents a pound--yippee!!

GMN

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2k0cd6ms said:

I still have 100 lbs of Cheyenne burmuda. I couldn't get it and had it back ordered. I wound up planting a burmuda blend. By the time I finally got the Cheyenne, the drought had set in and I didn't plant. Good thing because I would have wasted all the Cheyenne seed. Now I have it and I am keeping it cool and dry for next spring. I have 15 acres in mind for it.

I'm surprised that Texas is already putting out Rye seed. It's still in the mid 90's here.

Marshall ryegrass seed is actually lower this year than the last couple of years;I paid $22 per 50lb bag on Saturday. I was pleasantly surprised!!

Just order a few pounds (100) of what we call pasture mix - timothy, clover, and a few other grass' $1.37 pound
Its only money right?
tom

Latest posts