Seed plate #?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kell-inKY

Reaction score
My son is planting an acre or so of Reid's yellow dent corn. The bag has no info on it other than that it was tested and dates etc.

I borrowed my cousin's 2 row planter that he bought and uses for food plots. It is an Allis Chalmers that has been cut down. It has a huge box of every seed plate from Lustran that you can imagine, and has 16 or 24 cell as well, the 16 is installed right now. Cousin is of no help on this, he's not a farmer.

Seed spacing should be about 8", any educated guesses on which plate will be "close enough"? There are Lustran plate charts but it is based on size etc. I'm not picky, like most things, we have no idea what we are doing but are doin' it. And yes, I know it's late but it has been hard to get the field dry enough to disc, and I'm told locally that in by May 20th and we will be OK.
Thanks.

Seed space is done with the cog's and plates 16 cell should be fine , put some in the box and get in the yard with just the press wheel touching so it drops them on the ground so you and check the space.

Thanks, ran out of daylight before I could get the corn in it but ran a small test with remaining soybeans (obvious it wasn't a soybean plate), will dial in tomorrow.

is your corn flat or round. You need to select the plate the will carry it to the tube without breaking it once that plate id selected you can adjust spacing by taking off the cover to gears, Im not familiar with that planter but if like a IH or JD there will be about 4 or 5 cogs in there that you use to make the plates turn faster or slower

Thanks for the help, we got it setup Tuesday night and he got it all planted the same night. Never did understand the "cog" changes, did not see any adjustment resembling this but the 24 cell plate put them pretty close to the 8" spacing in the yard. Setting the depth was a guessing game since we disced the top layer and it was soft, but under that was hard earth which is where the planter was placing them. I think it will be OK though, would have been easier on a field that had not been disced. Now for the 8' tall fence to keep the deer out.

Kell-inKY":2gx60v82 said:
Thanks for the help, we got it setup Tuesday night and he got it all planted the same night. Never did understand the "cog" changes, did not see any adjustment resembling this but the 24 cell plate put them pretty close to the 8" spacing in the yard. Setting the depth was a guessing game since we disced the top layer and it was soft, but under that was hard earth which is where the planter was placing them. I think it will be OK though, would have been easier on a field that had not been disced. Now for the 8' tall fence to keep the deer out.

You would have never gotten a good planting on a non disked field. A prepared seed bed is required. Opening shovels get the seed down far enough for ground moisture. All drive wheel planters have Cogs/sprockets there will be a large one on the hopper gear and a small one on wheel or vise versa. It changes the speed of the plate movement to slower or faster which allows it to drop more seed per ft or less .

I'll check it out when I set it up to take back. I didn't notice any obvious ways to change it but I was under some pressure to get'r done. I had a really old one that was adjustable, I never used it but you could tell you could change ratios.

Latest posts