seed head in Bulls Eye

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefordcross

Reaction score
Had a new experience today. One of our Hereford Bulls had a swollen runny eye, thought for sure it was pinkeye but, since we started vaccinating we haven't had any trouble with pinkeye. Loaded him in the chute and in his eye was a seed head with four seeds in it, we could only see the stem part, so I managed to get a hold of it and wow out came four seeds still attached. Guess I got lucky that it all came out in one piece! Gave LA 200 IM and LA 200 in the eye. Will this do the trick with something like this.

That should work. We see this type of problem all the time, and it can lead to pink eye. We give them a IM dose of LA200, sometimes we have to give them another depending on how much of an infection they have, but they always clear up.

We get this alot also, or else they only get poked in the eye. I usually rinse the eye with penicillen, rather than LA 200. Then I also put some Terramyacin ointment in the eye(costs like 13 bucks for a small tube, but helps). Then give either LA 200 or Nuflor IM or SQ. Sometimes I will also patch the eye. Most of the time one treatment will work, but I always get them back in 3 to 4 days later to make sure everything is healing.

Bad eyes always get caught at auction time! Take the time to get it healed up right.