Seed Corn

Help Support CattleToday:

ROB

Reaction score
what variety of seed corn will you be planting this year? i chose Pioneer 35F40 at $200/bag. :shock:

ROB

That is a good number for baling after harvest.
If you get much wind the ear height isn't the best. The only pioneer number I planted was a refuge corn 37y11. Is that $200 a unit or a bag?

per bag. 80,000 kernal.
what are you referring to when you say a unit of corn?
ROB

Over the last couple years some of the seed companys have been using seed as large as 900 per pound selling a 60 pound bag. Not a true unit but it is a bag. Thats why I asked per unit or per bag. A person used to know that a bag of seed corn contained the whole unit now not so certain.

my daddy sells seed and his price list for seed corn this year is as followed:

base pirce per 80,000 unit
conventional - $76.00
BT Yield Guard - 109.00
Round up Ready - $118.00
Round up Ready BT Yield Guard - $129.00
Yield Guard VT3 $188.00 (most expensive)

theres some other stuff mixed up in there. but those are the basics, i think.

I'm planting something called picker 85, some other stuff too. The picker 85 is $42 dollars per bag. We'll see :?: :cowboy: It's a blend of last years leftovers. :help:

Mnmt-- Is that Picker 85 for grain or silage? what length of maturity in days? have you used a blend before? This is a new concept for me and I am really curious.
Most producers around here grow for grain and use 100-120 day maturity corn. Most of the corn costs close to base price of $200/80,000 kernels. Always interested in understanding other methods of production. Thanks JLP

I'm using corn from a company called Seed Consultants .I doubt if anybody west of the Mississippi has heard of them,they are based here in Ohio . About 6 years ago we were using Pioneer, well I tried 6 bags of Seed Consultants just to get the guy off my back . That fall it stood better and yielded better than the Pioneer for about half the money . I have been with them ever since .They have what they call a pallet builder program and that is 40 units VT Triple and 10 units refuge and that is $134 paid in January .

Larry

Jalopy. I planted a couple bags last year and the year before. From a central MN seed company. Got a good reputation up here. It is non-specified corn varieties 80-88 day maturity. One thing good is it pollinates over a longer time. Might be a good thing for hot dry weather? It is left over stuff from last year. Germination tested Feb 08. The corn will be for silage. The stuff really did pretty good considering almost no rain. I figure I'll put the $1200 seed savings toward fertilizer and chemicals.