Second day mowing pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
78eb.jpg

2nlfo7t.jpg

24e6cz7.jpg

I'd be baling that up for a rainy day. We finally have some grass, but nothing like that. Another rain or two and we should be able to make it till fall.

That is thick enough it could be mowed for hay, good looking pasture. Hooked up the batwing and got it ready to go yesterday.

wbvs58":29s16fmy said:
You only get to do one lap of the place per day Ron????

Ken

If I went around the entire farm. Yes. The farm is 80 acres but if it was cookie dough and you flattened it out with a rolling pin, it is easily 110 acres or more. The whole place is on a slope except on top of the ridge.

There are only 3 heifers in this paddock. The 17 cows and 3 developing bulls are in other pastures.

TennesseeTuxedo":1o6oi1ln said:
You're cutting it too low. Dinky does the same thing.

It looks low. I did adjust the height up. And don't criticize Dinky. You would be up shyt creek without him. Lol

TennesseeTuxedo":rjds629i said:
Bright Raven":rjds629i said:
TennesseeTuxedo":rjds629i said:
You're cutting it too low. Dinky does the same thing.

It looks low. I did adjust the height up. And don't criticize Dinky. You would be up shyt creek without him. Lol

You still need more cows.
:cboy:

I know. I know. I am "home growing" them.

Bright Raven":2datwp43 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2datwp43 said:
Bright Raven":2datwp43 said:

You still need more cows.
:cboy:

I know. I know. I am "home growing" them.

Problem with home grown stock is selling them when you need to. Bio security is something to keep in mind, but when I have times of plenty I buy some thin trader cows, preferably bred. And when the grass starts to thin I cull some as needed. Who knows what tomorrow brings, and everything in the cattle business takes years.

when I have times of plenty I buy some thin trader cows, preferably bred. And when the grass starts to thin I cull some as needed.

Might not make much a fortune on them, but that there is as good or better than $$ in the bank.
(a lot depends on what they were bred TO but a calf is a calf and a heavy bred will usually bring more than a light bred)

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3c7ngk93 said:
Don't you have any neighbors that need that as HAY?

Perhaps, but I would rather have the cuttings going back on the ground to build the soil.

That is steeper than it looks.

Bright Raven":2p3rb6hw said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2p3rb6hw said:

Perhaps, but I would rather have the cuttings going back on the ground to build the soil.

I know that some people don't mow pasture. Do you mow for weed control and pink eye?

herofan":1ozrs74j said:
Bright Raven":1ozrs74j said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1ozrs74j said:

I know that some people don't mow pasture. Do you mow for weed control and pink eye?

Yes. But my primary goal is to keep the desirable grasses and clovers flourishing. It seems to me that the reason I have productive pastures, is because I have mowed.

Latest posts