Second cutting hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Still haven't got the first cutting of grass. Did get two showers that totalled nearly 1 inch and it has made a huge difference. Weatherman has been calling for rain all week but none has hit the dirt. If chances drop below 30%, I'll start cutting. I have really saved a pile of money on fertilizer due to this drought.

Jogeephus":2l3hbboi said:
Still haven't got the first cutting of grass. Did get two showers that totalled nearly 1 inch and it has made a huge difference. Weatherman has been calling for rain all week but none has hit the dirt. If chances drop below 30%, I'll start cutting. I have really saved a pile of money on fertilizer due to this drought.

Don't worry about all the moolaa piling up in the bank, I have a feeling you will get to use it this fall on the winter pastures. :nod: Have you seen what urea has done since May? :shock:

Im in Alberta. On June 20th we started haying the first cut. Have half of it baled before it rained but the other half is has been getting rained on for a week now.
Have to get the alfalfa thats baled off the field because the alfalfa is really growing back already. Its already about 8" tall and really leafing out.
This is new land that we just bought. The 12 year old alfalfa/brome stands actually out produced the younger 7YO stands. Make sense? anyway on the 1st cut we are definately over 2 tons per acre which in my area is pretty good.

rattler":8mzmkoj6 said:
I figurue that a lot of you are done with second cutting but we are just about to finish up with the first cutting and if we dont get some rain they aint gonna be a second cutting for us.We are 9 in down on rain fall for the year i was just wondering how everybody else was doing.

rattler

1st cutting alfalfa on the main pivot was finished about 3 weeks ago, and is safely stacked in the hay shed. 1st cutting grass, and 1st cutting alfalfa off the corner of the pivot was hailed and rained on, and is stacked on pallets on the concrete slab at my house - most of it will probably be goat hay. 2nd cutting is scheduled to start this Sunday - weather permitting. We've already gotten better than half of our yearly rain fall, and are getting afternoon/evening thunder boomers on pretty much a daily basis. If the last 4 weeks are any indication of the weather, haying this summer should prove to be interesting. :roll:

Latest posts