Seaweed?

Help Support CattleToday:

SFFarms

Reaction score
I have been reading about mixing seaweed or kelp pellets with the cow's minerals in the summer to help lower their body temp. It also is suppose to pretty much elminate e-coli? So do any of yall use seaweed? Have you had any negatives of using it? Ive been looking for some company that sells the product but i have had no luck. :(

It's expensive and the temp. change would be miniscule but some folks are pushing it...also promoting all the trace minerals in it which are also little more than a "trace"......would be easier to own more heat tolerant cattle if heat is a real probelm.

ga. prime":4y3zaoch said:
TexasBred":4y3zaoch said:
It's expensive
Tex, when you said expensive, did you have in mind Pierre's Perky Pack expensive, or just ordinary expensive??

Or that the costs doesnt justify the benefits from the product. We all know that being profitable is about keeping input costs low. Buying seaweed would be a good way not to do that.

CattleHand":x0oa4dj7 said:
ga. prime":x0oa4dj7 said:
TexasBred":x0oa4dj7 said:
It's expensive
Tex, when you said expensive, did you have in mind Pierre's Perky Pack expensive, or just ordinary expensive??

Or that the costs doesnt justify the benefits from the product. We all know that being profitable is about keeping input costs low. Buying seaweed would be a good way not to do that.

Hmm....don't rightly know about that "Perky Pack". Sounds like you'd need to serve it up with a cold beer to keep the cattle calmed down. It might be worth the money for some of us older guys to get us a bag of it if it comes in smaller bags....get a little "bounce in the step" again......Honestly tho....don't know that you'll ever see any noticeable benefits that you can't obtain from a far less expensive source like a good diet, a good mineral, and a good herd health plan. As for Tasco, it's just kelp meal with a glorified name and a different bag.......comes from Acadian Seaplants which will sell you regular kelp meal as well for about 25% of the cost of Tasco. But don't call Acadian and tell them it's the same stuff... they'll tell you to shhhhhhhhhhhh..... :roll:

Well if its for that kind of price i guess they can just settle for the shade trees. 8)
Thanks for the replys,
SFF

SirLoin2":5gn1tbjy said:
Ga.
Re:
Sirloin, would you kindly explain how a bag of Pierre's Perky Pack is worth $85?
:lol2: :lol2:

As they say: There's one born every day!!
:nod:

Sirloin...while you're at it get you a 50 lb. bag of Diatomaceous Earth for $20, get some colorful little 1 lb. bags, give it a snappy name and you can sell it on the interest for about $12 a pound. As you said. :idea:

twistedxranch":2p6vfd3i said:
SFFarms":2p6vfd3i said:
I have been reading about mixing seaweed or kelp pellets with the cow's minerals in the summer to help lower their body temp. It also is suppose to pretty much elminate e-coli? So do any of yall use seaweed? Have you had any negatives of using it? Ive been looking for some company that sells the product but i have had no luck. :(

Seaweed and kelp pellets? What is the difference in that and diatamaceous earth?

Two totally different products except DE does actually work as an insecticide.

SL...very good...but...there is "filter grade" DE as well as "Feed Grade" DE....be sure and use feed grade with your animals etc. Works great on flies, ticks, fleas anything with an exoskeleton. Willkill all fire ants that it gets on but hard to wipe out a complete hill of them.

Latest posts