seaweed looking stuff in water tank to keep it clean

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
anyone know much about a green sponge like looking stuff that will live in your water tank and keep it clean? i have a neighbor who has some of it in their water tank and it is always clean and has very little algae in it ever.

the stuff attaches itself to the side and some of it will just float in the tank. during the night it will sink to the bottom, but during the day it will float to the top. it kind of looks like sea weed.

they dont know where it came from. it just started growing in there and they couldnt get it all out. but stopped trying after they saw what it did for their tank.

i put a hand full of it in my tank and it seems to work very well.

that was the first and only time i have ever seen any of this stuff.

jt

I watched a cow the other day standing in a pond eating some sort of floting weed. I don't know what it was or if the cow lived but she was sure filling up on it.

jt":1dxkwvlp said:
anyone know much about a green sponge like looking stuff that will live in your water tank and keep it clean? i have a neighbor who has some of it in their water tank and it is always clean and has very little algae in it ever.

the stuff attaches itself to the side and some of it will just float in the tank. during the night it will sink to the bottom, but during the day it will float to the top. it kind of looks like sea weed.

they dont know where it came from. it just started growing in there and they couldnt get it all out. but stopped trying after they saw what it did for their tank.

i put a hand full of it in my tank and it seems to work very well.

that was the first and only time i have ever seen any of this stuff.

jt

Can you take a picture of it?

yea, i will try to get a picture and get it posted. it may take a day or so, but i will try to get it done.

the cows leave it alone, they dont eat it.

jt

If you are really worried about the "gross and icky" stuff that grows in your tank, put a half cup of Bleach in the tank every two weeks.

It's really not the tank, its the water going in it. pH values cause the green stuff in the tank. But to keep it clean and refreshing, use Bleach or goldfish. Cattle will drink it either way.

It will end up covering the water also. If this is what you've got.
watertankcleanout1.jpg

thats what we have in some of the ponds here. i call it "sludge". the grass carp take care of it pretty well.

milesvb":3jffqelx said:
It appears to be filamentous algae a.k.a. pond scum around these parts.

i will try to get a picture this evening.. been too busy last couple of days. the stuff i am talking about helps keep this scum out of your water. it might even be some kind of a moss. that, or a sponge is what it would remind you of when you pick it up out of the water, in that when you pick it up, it retains a good bit of water that will quickly run out.

jt

Java Moss? Looks like something I have in my aquarium and it can take over the tank very quickly. I have no algae in my aquarium and I haven't cleaned it in over two years. It does work in that regard, but I have a few fish in there too.

sidney411":bk7piao4 said:
It does look like java moss but I think you have to get it started, it doesn't just start growing on it's own, right?

We have the same looking stuff growing in the in-ground freezeproof waterer. It's in a shady area and only gets direct sun during the winter. Only one that has the stuff growing in it. It's fed from the well and it sure isn;t anything I planted. The seeds may have come in on a varmint/bird/frog

dun

That is a benefficial aquatic plant, great hiding place for bait fish, have not successfuly gotten it to grow in the tanks yet,

Not Hydrilla (SP?) but very good plant for keeping water clear, and housing bait fish

Latest posts