season's over and smoke house is full

Help Support CattleToday:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
IMG_1440.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

IMG_1442.jpg

good luck
PS... This is what he looked like before he got turned into sausage.
IMG_1426.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

IMG_1420.jpg

mnmtranching":lmbsp0vs said:
Hay Maker, That looks great, got some recipes to share?

Yes but someone is honking at the gate...........gotta get to town and eat,I will post one tomorrow,nothing fancy..................good luck

mnmtranching,these hills are full of folks that make venison sausage and everyone of them have a recipe that they like,the one I most prefer is what is called 20-10-10,lots of folks use this one.
20 lbs of venison
10 lbs of beef
10 lbs of pork
1 lb of butcher salt
1 cup black pepper med grind (8 ounces)
6 table spoons of garlic salt
2 heads of fresh garlic
add water and or whiskey to get the consistency for stuffing into pork casings.
The weather will play a big part on how long they need to hang in the smoke house,I try and target a real dry cold spell,smoke mine about 2 days and let it hang about 3 weeks,then vacum seal and put in the freezer.
good luck

Hay Maker, That sounds very TASTY. I got my venison frozen in boned chunks, and now is my season to make the sausage, jerky and stuff. Going to use your recipe and let you know how it turns out.
Can you take a shot while mixing up a batch. :nod:

mnmtranching":gxn135xf said:
Hay Maker, That sounds very TASTY. I got my venison frozen in boned chunks, and now is my season to make the sausage, jerky and stuff. Going to use your recipe and let you know how it turns out.
Can you take a shot while mixing up a batch. :nod:

Yes,that's why sausage makin is so much fun,and help is easy to find :lol2:
good luck

I was curious , does that knob creek stuff go in the sausage or in the guy turning the stuffer. My recipe is 40 lbs meat ( 1/2deer 1/2pork ) 3/4 lb salt , 2 tbsp black pepper , 1/2 lb ground corriander , 1/2 pound brown sugar (optional) , we use it fresh and smoked , for smoked we like to stuff in bags about 2" dia. and smoke just a little longer than in casings.

HAY MAKER":387zilg0 said:
mnmtranching,these hills are full of folks that make venison sausage and everyone of them have a recipe that they like,the one I most prefer is what is called 20-10-10,lots of folks use this one.
20 lbs of venison
10 lbs of beef
10 lbs of pork
1 lb of butcher salt
2 heads of fresh garlic
The weather will play a big part on how long they need to hang in the smoke house,I try and target a real dry cold spell,smoke mine about 2 days and let it hang about 3 weeks,then vacum seal and put in the freezer.
good luck
Yall must have very low humidity and temp to let it hang for three weeks without going bad. As soon as mines cooled over night I vacume pack it and freeze it. What does the extended hanging do for the sausage?

shorty":pmaktrht said:
I was curious , does that knob creek stuff go in the sausage or in the guy turning the stuffer. My recipe is 40 lbs meat ( 1/2deer 1/2pork ) 3/4 lb salt , 2 tbsp black pepper , 1/2 lb ground corriander , 1/2 pound brown sugar (optional) , we use it fresh and smoked , for smoked we like to stuff in bags about 2" dia. and smoke just a little longer than in casings.

Shorty I think he said he mixed it in the meat but common sense tells me otherwise. Probalby used as antifreeze or other medicinal purposes. :drink:

jfont":czbpg0rg said:
HAY MAKER":czbpg0rg said:
20 lbs of venison
10 lbs of beef
10 lbs of pork
1 lb of butcher salt
2 heads of fresh garlic
good luck
Yall must have very low humidity and temp to let it hang for three weeks without going bad. As soon as mines cooled over night I vacume pack it and freeze it. What does the extended hanging do for the sausage?

usually we have high humidity,thats why its important to watch the weather and target a cold dry spell,we make some like you but,the recipe I posted was for my favorite......dried sausage.
good luck

shorty":3irgk4bq said:

Shorty,sorry for the late reply,been on the run............the knob creek goes in both,the sausage and the sausage maker,its pretty common around here to see the old timers useing whiskey in their dried sausage recipes...................good luck

Latest posts