Seasoning

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
WalnutCrest posted this:

WalnutCrest":1t9k4law said:
When is the last time you had a CAB steak that wasn't covered in sauce, pepper, bacon, mushrooms, etc?

It's been my experience when eating out that steak flavor is almost nonexistent, but the tenderness is (generally) quite good. So, the flavor had to be added with marinades, etc.

In prehistory, salts, herbs and spices were put on food to preserve it and to conceal the taste and odor of spoilage. Foods were not refrigerated. Early man was a hunter/gatherer. The food he carried spoiled. In order to make it edible, he covered it with salt, herbs and spices that he found to preserve it and make it more palatable.

As time passed, the value of salt, spices and herbs increased. They increased to the point that salt, spices and herbs were on par with gold and coin. Trade routes sprang up dedicated to the movement of spices, salt and herbs.

WalnutCrest makes an interesting point. Even with refrigeration, we still adhere to the practice of seasoning. It is part of our culture.

Cavemen were the originators of the patio kitchen-------Still in use today.

Bigfoot":39qr4squ said:
Cavemen were the originators of the patio kitchen-------Still in use today.

:lol: :lol:

ac7ask.jpg

mrcw07.jpg

Bright Raven":314so0a8 said:
WalnutCrest posted this:

WalnutCrest":314so0a8 said:
When is the last time you had a CAB steak that wasn't covered in sauce, pepper, bacon, mushrooms, etc?

It's been my experience when eating out that steak flavor is almost nonexistent, but the tenderness is (generally) quite good. So, the flavor had to be added with marinades, etc.

In prehistory, salts, herbs and spices were put on food to preserve it and to conceal the taste and odor of spoilage. Foods were not refrigerated. Early man was a hunter/gatherer. The food he carried spoiled. In order to make it edible, he covered it with salt, herbs and spices that he found to preserve it and make it more palatable.

As time passed, the value of salt, spices and herbs increased. They increased to the point that salt, spices and herbs were on par with gold and coin. Trade routes sprang up dedicated to the movement of spices, salt and herbs.

WalnutCrest makes an interesting point. Even with refrigeration, we still adhere to the practice of seasoning. It is part of our culture.

There is a reason the most expensive beg in Europe is from cows aged 5-8 years and the second mossy expensive is 4 year old steers. Umami comes, in part, from older animals. The older they get, the beefier the flavor.

Also, the more diverse the diet, the more robust the flavor. This is particularly true for eating green forage from plants with deep (!) roots (weeds, trees). Monocultures are not friendly to the beg eating consumer.

WalnutCrest":10hgdbwx said:
Bright Raven":10hgdbwx said:
WalnutCrest posted this:

WalnutCrest":10hgdbwx said:

There is a reason the most expensive beg in Europe is from cows aged 5-8 years and the second mossy expensive is 4 year old steers. Umami comes, in part, from older animals. The older they get, the beefier the flavor.

Also, the more diverse the diet, the more robust the flavor. This is particularly true for eating green forage from plants with deep (!) roots (weeds, trees). Monocultures are not friendly to the beg eating consumer.

It may be my imagination, but we butchered our own beef when I was growing up on the farm. We had a small dairy herd of mixed mongrel cows. We selected a calf each year to butcher. Sometimes they were Jersey or Holstein or Guernsey, didn't really matter. But that beef still sticks in my mind as the most juicy flavorful, I have ever eaten.

WalnutCrest,

I should mention that if we culled a cow that wasn't too poor, we butchered her. You are correct. Some of those old cows were good.

If you're steak house is flavoring their steak with anything but salt, pepper, and fire.... Find another steak house. They're using lesser meat and I seriously boubt it's CAB.

I butchered an older cow once. I only have one set of teeth, so I won't be doing that again.

M.Magis":14msz270 said:
If your steak house is flavoring their steak with anything but salt, pepper, and fire.... Find another steak house.
They're using lesser meat...
I don't have a steakhouse but if a restaurant serves me a tender steak that I also find truly delicious what do I care if
their secret spice mix also contains garlic, sugar, dill seed, ground coriander, nutmeg, chocolate, basil, mustard seed,
sesame seed, ground chili peppers, paprika, rosemary, fennel, butter or whatever else they choose.
If it's properly prepared and I really really enjoy it, then it wouldn't make any sense to find another restaurant.
Instead I'd order it again and again. Just because it isn't like what my mother used to make doesn't mean it isn't good.

I do like burger from old cow, steaks not so much.. my 30 month old steers or bulls have been a nice balance, tender steaks that are still flavorful.

Yes, I do add spice to my steak.. because I like the flavor of the spice too

I don't believe in limiting options. I can enjoy a steak that was simply salted but I can also enjoy the taste of a steak that has a wide array of spices on it with a good dose of butter. Just this month I experimented with a new binder capable of binding four times its weight of water in the meat. Instead of water I chose to use beer. A dark stout. The reviews were all positive. Afterall, how can you go wrong when meat tastes like a good beer?

Jogeephus":24qd6haf said:
I don't believe in limiting options. I can enjoy a steak that was simply salted but I can also enjoy the taste of a steak that has a wide array of spices on it with a good dose of butter. Just this month I experimented with a new binder capable of binding four times its weight of water in the meat. Instead of water I chose to use beer. A dark stout. The reviews were all positive. Afterall, how can you go wrong when meat tastes like a good beer?

I'll drink to that.

Son of Butch":25sbgwtx said:
M.Magis":25sbgwtx said:
If your steak house is flavoring their steak with anything but salt, pepper, and fire.... Find another steak house.
They're using lesser meat...
I don't have a steakhouse but if a restaurant serves me a tender steak that I also find truly delicious what do I care if
their secret spice mix also contains garlic, sugar, dill seed, ground coriander, nutmeg, chocolate, basil, mustard seed,
sesame seed, ground chili peppers, paprika, rosemary, fennel, butter or whatever else they choose.
If it's properly prepared and I really really enjoy it, then it wouldn't make any sense to find another restaurant.
Instead I'd order it again and again. Just because it isn't like what my mother used to make doesn't mean it isn't good.
Okay, fair enough. But if someone is going to complain or claim they can't find a good steak without being covered in something, they should find another. There are a lot out there.

WalnutCrest":13mpc3yo said:
Posting from my phone does me no favors. Typos are a huge pretty peeve of mine. Thanks for overlooking them. :)
sorry walnut i had to do it :lol:

autocorrect got me the other day, I had posted on FB "Going to be around Sumas tomorrow".. (Sumas is a town/area)..It posted "Going to be around dumbarse tomorrow".... It made an honest man out of me anyhow.

Nesikep":3rlrzjsb said:
autocorrect got me the other day, I had posted on FB "Going to be around Sumas tomorrow".. (Sumas is a town/area)..It posted "Going to be around dumbarse tomorrow".... It made an honest man out of me anyhow.

Funny

Nesikep":2azbnofo said:

So, what did your traveling companion think of your description?!