• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Seasoning

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2017
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
2
Location
Kentucky
WalnutCrest posted this:

WalnutCrest":1t9k4law said:
When is the last time you had a CAB steak that wasn't covered in sauce, pepper, bacon, mushrooms, etc?

It's been my experience when eating out that steak flavor is almost nonexistent, but the tenderness is (generally) quite good. So, the flavor had to be added with marinades, etc.

In prehistory, salts, herbs and spices were put on food to preserve it and to conceal the taste and odor of spoilage. Foods were not refrigerated. Early man was a hunter/gatherer. The food he carried spoiled. In order to make it edible, he covered it with salt, herbs and spices that he found to preserve it and make it more palatable.

As time passed, the value of salt, spices and herbs increased. They increased to the point that salt, spices and herbs were on par with gold and coin. Trade routes sprang up dedicated to the movement of spices, salt and herbs.

WalnutCrest makes an interesting point. Even with refrigeration, we still adhere to the practice of seasoning. It is part of our culture.
 

Bigfoot

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 16, 2012
Messages
12,838
Reaction score
48
Location
Kentucky
Cavemen were the originators of the patio kitchen-------Still in use today.
 
OP
B

Bright Raven

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2017
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
2
Location
Kentucky
Bigfoot":39qr4squ said:
Cavemen were the originators of the patio kitchen-------Still in use today.

:lol: :lol:




 

WalnutCrest

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 2, 2014
Messages
2,469
Reaction score
0
Location
Northeast KS (USA)
Bright Raven":314so0a8 said:
WalnutCrest posted this:

WalnutCrest":314so0a8 said:
When is the last time you had a CAB steak that wasn't covered in sauce, pepper, bacon, mushrooms, etc?

It's been my experience when eating out that steak flavor is almost nonexistent, but the tenderness is (generally) quite good. So, the flavor had to be added with marinades, etc.

In prehistory, salts, herbs and spices were put on food to preserve it and to conceal the taste and odor of spoilage. Foods were not refrigerated. Early man was a hunter/gatherer. The food he carried spoiled. In order to make it edible, he covered it with salt, herbs and spices that he found to preserve it and make it more palatable.

As time passed, the value of salt, spices and herbs increased. They increased to the point that salt, spices and herbs were on par with gold and coin. Trade routes sprang up dedicated to the movement of spices, salt and herbs.

WalnutCrest makes an interesting point. Even with refrigeration, we still adhere to the practice of seasoning. It is part of our culture.

There is a reason the most expensive beg in Europe is from cows aged 5-8 years and the second mossy expensive is 4 year old steers. Umami comes, in part, from older animals. The older they get, the beefier the flavor.

Also, the more diverse the diet, the more robust the flavor. This is particularly true for eating green forage from plants with deep (!) roots (weeds, trees). Monocultures are not friendly to the beg eating consumer.
 
OP
B

Bright Raven

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2017
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
2
Location
Kentucky
WalnutCrest":10hgdbwx said:
Bright Raven":10hgdbwx said:
WalnutCrest posted this:

WalnutCrest":10hgdbwx said:
When is the last time you had a CAB steak that wasn't covered in sauce, pepper, bacon, mushrooms, etc?

It's been my experience when eating out that steak flavor is almost nonexistent, but the tenderness is (generally) quite good. So, the flavor had to be added with marinades, etc.

In prehistory, salts, herbs and spices were put on food to preserve it and to conceal the taste and odor of spoilage. Foods were not refrigerated. Early man was a hunter/gatherer. The food he carried spoiled. In order to make it edible, he covered it with salt, herbs and spices that he found to preserve it and make it more palatable.

As time passed, the value of salt, spices and herbs increased. They increased to the point that salt, spices and herbs were on par with gold and coin. Trade routes sprang up dedicated to the movement of spices, salt and herbs.

WalnutCrest makes an interesting point. Even with refrigeration, we still adhere to the practice of seasoning. It is part of our culture.

There is a reason the most expensive beg in Europe is from cows aged 5-8 years and the second mossy expensive is 4 year old steers. Umami comes, in part, from older animals. The older they get, the beefier the flavor.

Also, the more diverse the diet, the more robust the flavor. This is particularly true for eating green forage from plants with deep (!) roots (weeds, trees). Monocultures are not friendly to the beg eating consumer.

It may be my imagination, but we butchered our own beef when I was growing up on the farm. We had a small dairy herd of mixed mongrel cows. We selected a calf each year to butcher. Sometimes they were Jersey or Holstein or Guernsey, didn't really matter. But that beef still sticks in my mind as the most juicy flavorful, I have ever eaten.
 
OP
B

Bright Raven

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2017
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
2
Location
Kentucky
WalnutCrest,

I should mention that if we culled a cow that wasn't too poor, we butchered her. You are correct. Some of those old cows were good.
 

M.Magis

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2010
Messages
1,938
Reaction score
31
Location
Cambridge, Ohio
If you're steak house is flavoring their steak with anything but salt, pepper, and fire.... Find another steak house. They're using lesser meat and I seriously boubt it's CAB.

I butchered an older cow once. I only have one set of teeth, so I won't be doing that again.
 

Son of Butch

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 30, 2010
Messages
6,445
Reaction score
64
Location
Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota
M.Magis":14msz270 said:
If your steak house is flavoring their steak with anything but salt, pepper, and fire.... Find another steak house.
They're using lesser meat...
I don't have a steakhouse but if a restaurant serves me a tender steak that I also find truly delicious what do I care if
their secret spice mix also contains garlic, sugar, dill seed, ground coriander, nutmeg, chocolate, basil, mustard seed,
sesame seed, ground chili peppers, paprika, rosemary, fennel, butter or whatever else they choose.
If it's properly prepared and I really really enjoy it, then it wouldn't make any sense to find another restaurant.
Instead I'd order it again and again. Just because it isn't like what my mother used to make doesn't mean it isn't good.
 

Nesikep

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 13, 2008
Messages
16,031
Reaction score
143
Location
Lillooet, BC, Canada
I do like burger from old cow, steaks not so much.. my 30 month old steers or bulls have been a nice balance, tender steaks that are still flavorful.

Yes, I do add spice to my steak.. because I like the flavor of the spice too
 

Jogeephus

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
24,228
Reaction score
0
Location
South Georgia
I don't believe in limiting options. I can enjoy a steak that was simply salted but I can also enjoy the taste of a steak that has a wide array of spices on it with a good dose of butter. Just this month I experimented with a new binder capable of binding four times its weight of water in the meat. Instead of water I chose to use beer. A dark stout. The reviews were all positive. Afterall, how can you go wrong when meat tastes like a good beer?
 
OP
B

Bright Raven

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2017
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
2
Location
Kentucky
Jogeephus":24qd6haf said:
I don't believe in limiting options. I can enjoy a steak that was simply salted but I can also enjoy the taste of a steak that has a wide array of spices on it with a good dose of butter. Just this month I experimented with a new binder capable of binding four times its weight of water in the meat. Instead of water I chose to use beer. A dark stout. The reviews were all positive. Afterall, how can you go wrong when meat tastes like a good beer?

I'll drink to that.
 

M.Magis

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2010
Messages
1,938
Reaction score
31
Location
Cambridge, Ohio
Son of Butch":25sbgwtx said:
M.Magis":25sbgwtx said:
If your steak house is flavoring their steak with anything but salt, pepper, and fire.... Find another steak house.
They're using lesser meat...
I don't have a steakhouse but if a restaurant serves me a tender steak that I also find truly delicious what do I care if
their secret spice mix also contains garlic, sugar, dill seed, ground coriander, nutmeg, chocolate, basil, mustard seed,
sesame seed, ground chili peppers, paprika, rosemary, fennel, butter or whatever else they choose.
If it's properly prepared and I really really enjoy it, then it wouldn't make any sense to find another restaurant.
Instead I'd order it again and again. Just because it isn't like what my mother used to make doesn't mean it isn't good.
Okay, fair enough. But if someone is going to complain or claim they can't find a good steak without being covered in something, they should find another. There are a lot out there.
 

ez14.

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 30, 2017
Messages
1,400
Reaction score
2
Location
west MI
WalnutCrest":13mpc3yo said:
Posting from my phone does me no favors. Typos are a huge pretty peeve of mine. Thanks for overlooking them. :)
sorry walnut i had to do it :lol:
 

Nesikep

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 13, 2008
Messages
16,031
Reaction score
143
Location
Lillooet, BC, Canada
autocorrect got me the other day, I had posted on FB "Going to be around Sumas tomorrow".. (Sumas is a town/area)..It posted "Going to be around dumbarse tomorrow".... It made an honest man out of me anyhow.
 

wacocowboy

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2013
Messages
3,201
Reaction score
0
Location
Central Texas
Most times all I put on a steak is seasoning salt and worcestershire sauce and throw it on the grill or skillet.
 
OP
B

Bright Raven

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2017
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
2
Location
Kentucky
Nesikep":3rlrzjsb said:
autocorrect got me the other day, I had posted on FB "Going to be around Sumas tomorrow".. (Sumas is a town/area)..It posted "Going to be around dumbarse tomorrow".... It made an honest man out of me anyhow.

Funny
 

WalnutCrest

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 2, 2014
Messages
2,469
Reaction score
0
Location
Northeast KS (USA)
Nesikep":2azbnofo said:
autocorrect got me the other day, I had posted on FB "Going to be around Sumas tomorrow".. (Sumas is a town/area)..It posted "Going to be around dumbarse tomorrow".... It made an honest man out of me anyhow.

So, what did your traveling companion think of your description?!
 

Latest posts

Top