sea salt

Help Support CattleToday:

i don't believe you would "see" any results. The theory is it mineralizes the forage to better balance. You would have to tissue test. In my opinion none of these are worth it. I sprayed kelp/fish emulsion for a summer. Lost interest when I saw no animal preference. I think when you have decent organic matter % then it's effects are lessened. Matching cattle type to forage with management goes a heck of a lot farther than any expensive input.

thanks AllForage, well I have been feeding it in my mineral feeder they seem to like it better then mineral salts, but have been reading about putting it on the fields, so just looking to see if anyone has tried it,thanks dave

xbred":342n33sk said:
all salt is sea salt
Yeah, but this is from a special sea salt from a secret location 'discovered' by Dr. Murray.
Accept no imitations!!
(I wonder if you're the 1st 100 callers, do you get some ginzu steak knives too?)

Its also collected by blind Mongolian monks who only work one day each year so supplies are limited so you need to get your order in now.

Adding salt to your soil will act to lower pH. It also causes problems with plants ability to take up water. As much of a problem as it is to people who own high salt fields I would never ever consider adding salt of any kind to the soil.

I can give you some perspective on using sea salt. I had a small handout package from the farm show and used it on a flowerbed, one half of the bed and left the other alone. The half I used it on was much more vigorous and healthy. Then a neighbor who always has big ideas bought a load of it and we tried to apply to pasture. It can't be spread, clogs the spreader, so has to be dissolved and sprayed. It's hell on the spraying equipment. We got about five acres done and the cows absolutely loved that patch and always went to it first.

Green Creek":tikdnzew said:
I can give you some perspective on using sea salt. I had a small handout package from the farm show and used it on a flowerbed, one half of the bed and left the other alone. The half I used it on was much more vigorous and healthy. Then a neighbor who always has big ideas bought a load of it and we tried to apply to pasture. It can't be spread, clogs the spreader, so has to be dissolved and sprayed. It's be nice on the spraying equipment. We got about five acres done and the cows absolutely loved that patch and always went to it first.

Cattle love salt. :nod:

I would think it would be best to find out what minor elements are in the sea salt which makes the grass become more palatable to the cattle. Apparently since its only sea salt that works this magic and since sea salt 98% sodium chloride this leaves only 2% room for the minor elements. Typically the major minor element in sea salt is sulfates and nitrates so it is likely this is what's making the difference. Maybe one day cattlemen will wise up and follow the organic crowd and start applying some form of sulfate or nitrates to their pastures so we can feed cattle grass rather than corn. Now if only we could find this magic in is a more concentrated form, say 30-40% or so by weight then we might be on to something. Shucks, no good though. Wouldn't be certified organic then would it?

Latest posts