Sea of Mud..

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem.. but my gosh we've had enough RAIN already! Taking 10 bales out to the back 100 acres yesterday was a nightmare! I ruined a pair of gloves, knocked a starter wire off the tractor with a clod of mud, and almost got pole axed by a 50 lb. clod of mud bounced off my forehead. :x

We're supposed to get more rain tomorrow. :stop:

TheBullLady":2l4jcb4q said:
I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem.. but my gosh we've had enough RAIN already! Taking 10 bales out to the back 100 acres yesterday was a nightmare! I ruined a pair of gloves, knocked a starter wire off the tractor with a clod of mud, and almost got pole axed by a 50 lb. clod of mud bounced off my forehead. :x

We're supposed to get more rain tomorrow. :stop:
Problem,what problem? It rains and we wade thru it,we have a drough and we sell our cattle.What problem? :)

Sounds like you are having a touch of OHIO weather!! I'll tell ya what...just keep it :D :D

Sorry to hear of your mud woes.............a perenial problem here, not to mention the several floods we get each year. The good part about it is, it tends to clean things up a bit.
This winter i often prayed that it would just stay frozen that we we could still walk ,and use the tractors, right now, it is almost impossible for both. But....aaaahh, the joys of farming!

it is so muddy here our poor cows have developed webbed hooves, and thier tails are shrinking i think they are morphing into frogs, or somthing that travels well in mud... :) ..i know i am fussing now because of too much rain,,,,, and i know this summer i will probably be fussing cuz of too little rain. i reckon its hard to please some people lol ;-)

Fields were getting so bad here that I finally just stretched a hot wire behind some of the round bales where they sit and let the cows have at it. Might waste a little more but keeping the tractor out of the field as I already have enough ruts to repair when it dries up some. Seems the last few years we get wetter and wetter winter and spring and drier and drier summer and fall.

We had 13 inches of rain the first week of January and very little since. A quarter inch here a half inch there, just enough to keep refreshing the existing mud bog.

dun

D.R. Cattle":54r7e2tf said:
And some of the posters say they don't like the southern territories because they don't like rain and mud?

Not me, it's the skeeters I don't like. Anytime they'er big enough to argue about if they're going to eat you there or take you back home I start to worry.

dun

I can't argue with that one. We have them, and gazillions of them. Kinda nice right now because the cool season allows to be outside after dark. Places north of the mason dixon don't have mosquitos?

D.R. Cattle":nxf2mbde said:
I can't argue with that one. We have them, and gazillions of them. Kinda nice right now because the cool season allows to be outside after dark. Places north of the mason dixon don't have mosquitos?

I don't know where the M&D line is. But we have them, only theyre small and the frogs and toads keep them pretty well in check. Maybe you need to train those gators to eat skeeters. They're big enough they should be able to make apretty good sized dent in them. Except for the really BIG skeeters that is.
I can alwasy tell if there's a skeeter problem because one little bite and my wife gets a goose egg sized welt.

dun

Some immunity happens with exposure. I'll board one of my dad's horses out at my place sometimes after foaling season. He's closer in where mosquito control district takes over. His horses are all welted up pretty bad the first couple of days then the welts just start disappearing after a few days. They bug the heck out of me but I don't get welts or bumps from them. I'm in a water management district where gobs of water are stored. It's about as bad as they can get short of the Everglades at my place. Since I built out there, the mosquito control guys are starting to show up from time to time but it's like a drop in the ocean. The good part is while everyone else is praying for rain, I'm in the Garden of Eden with flood irrigation. And when we get a mass of rain they pull it all out in short order and store it up for a later date. We looked real good after the hurricanes. With 150 cummins diesel pumps ramming you know. Dang pump houses blew away and took the exhaust systems with them, but the pumps kept on jammin. As for the gators, if I could convince them to quit eating turtles and fish and eat mosquitos instead, I reckon I'd quit eating the gators.