Sea of clover/Sea of horse nettle

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Got 25 acres, that looks like this, from one end to the other. I'm picking up 14 gallons of Grazon next in the morning (Not to spray on this field). I guess I'm just going to have to tolerate the horse nettle, to keep the clover. 2 four D doesn't seem to harm either for me. Anybody got a recommendation?

Bigfoot":2yisiegs said:
Anybody got a recommendation?
Put the kids to work with backpack sprayers. :D I put a fifteen gallon sprayer on the bed of the truck and I just spot spray a little when I'm checking cows and have a few minutes to spare. I get a lot done that way and still have my clover.

As luck would have it, I bought 3 pump up sprayers today. I had MF rose in mind, when I bought them.

Grazon and Remedy mixed is my preferred treatment for horse nettle. I wouldn;t worry much about the clover, it's kind of making an omelet without breaking eggs. Can;t be done. Clover is an easy component to reintroduce.

I broke down and sprayed this whole pasture with Range Master Friday. Looks like I demolished bot the clover and the nettle. I just couldn't let the nettle go any longer.

Bigfoot":1zv412w3 said:
Got 25 acres, that looks like this, from one end to the other. I'm picking up 14 gallons of Grazon next in the morning (Not to spray on this field). I guess I'm just going to have to tolerate the horse nettle, to keep the clover. 2 four D doesn't seem to harm either for me. Anybody got a recommendation?

I was wondering about this same thing myself, thanks for asking the question. You are much better shape than my field is though. The field I am having bad trouble with was a patch I made hay on. It's covered, in areas, so bad it's choking the clover and grass out. I just clip it again and hope the grass can outgrow the nettle. It's not working.

Nettle grows really fast. Took that pick on June 29th, and when I sprayed on July 29th the nettle was knee high. Wish I had sprayed it a couple of weeks ago. It had shaded the fescue, to the point of yellowing it a little.

JMJ Farms":344bypr2 said:
Too late now I reckon, but how would a weed wiper with gramaxone work?

The only weed wiper I ever owned was years ago. Unless the technology has changed, I wouldn't recommend one.

Bigfoot":uz07iyi8 said:
JMJ Farms":uz07iyi8 said:
Too late now I reckon, but how would a weed wiper with gramaxone work?

The only weed wiper I ever owned was years ago. Unless the technology has changed, I wouldn't recommend one.

Never owned one either. Sounds good in theory. Look like they would work. But I wouldn't know from experience. I usually pick the hard way. Like pump up sprayers. Used to have a bad thistle problem. Wore out a round point shovel over a couple of years but I've dang near eliminated them. Horse nettle is about as bad or worse IMO.

I think nettle makes rhizomes as well as seed. I like to keep it beat back.

Latest posts