SE Minnesota Road Trip

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Made a trip to see relatives and eat lye treated cod fish. Local diary operations continue to close and dairy cows are hard to sell. Seems like tractor driving is the preferred vocation. There are now more beef cows in the area but not alot of beef cow feed. High rain fall levels reduced hay harvest and corn stock baling. Looks like bagged corn silage is available for now. Not sure how that can pencil out.

Yah, lutefisk a Norski Christmas tradition. I am glad my Swedish ancestors came from eastern Sweden (Finland). We got to miss out on that fine dietary idem.

Dave said:
Yah, lutefisk a Norski Christmas tradition. I am glad my Swedish ancestors came from eastern Sweden (Finland). We got to miss out on that fine dietary idem.

Pickled herring much better than rotten cod.

Aaron said:
Dave said:

Pickled herring much better than rotten cod.

I agree. I do like pickled herring a lot. The only way it is available here in Eastern Oregon is in little jars. One of the things I miss about living on the Washington coast.

The beef cows were up on muddy ridge tops eating out of portable feed bunks. Must be a lot of repurposed dairy TMRs around. Free corn stocks should make beef cows practical there, but this year looks like a train wreck. I think things could get ugly in the Feb/Mar timeframe.

Stocker Steve said:
You have to make choices in life - - slurping up reconstituted fish vs. chewing meatballs.

Being one of the few people on here who has actually slurped up lutefisk....... meatballs win every time.

Stocker Steve said:
The beef cows were up on muddy ridge tops eating out of portable feed bunks. Must be a lot of repurposed dairy TMRs around. Free corn stocks should make beef cows practical there, but this year looks like a train wreck. I think things could get ugly in the Feb/Mar timeframe.

Yep, wettest fall ever (Sept-Nov) for ND, MN, WI, NWO and MB. Gonna be a lot of train wrecks before this winter is over.

Dave said:
Stocker Steve said:
You have to make choices in life - - slurping up reconstituted fish vs. chewing meatballs.

Being one of the few people on here who has actually slurped up lutefisk....... meatballs win every time.

I can't get passed the smell. :yuck: I have come to conclusion Norveegins have no sense of smell, similar to Scots and their haggis fetish.

Latest posts