Scurs on female

Help Support CattleToday:

S&S Farms

Reaction score
Has anybody ever had a scurred female. Found one the other day just little round buttons did not seem attached. Found a horned one out of a new mating that I did not see before turnout. Those crazy recessive genes in my polled herefords.

I did not have my camera with me I will try to post pics next week. going to look at cattle in western Penn.

Jeff

We have two females w/scurs, a mama cow and her first heifer, but that's the only scurred one I can remember either of them producing. If you will be dehorning any other calves, you might want to think about getting the scurs off while they're young. They can grow in such strange ways and sure don't do anything for the looks of the cow. I wish we had cut ours.

Every Holsten angus cross cow we ever had (they all came from the same dairy) had scurs.

aussie_cowgirl":25tuw8tr said:
scurs aren't sex dependent so you will find them on males and females.
Aussie - not sure if I'm using the proper term - but, scurs are "sex-linked". Scurs are dominant in males & resessive in females. Bulls will express scurs when they inherit 1 gene. Females need to inherit 2 genes to express scurs. A female can have 1 gene & be a carrier, but will not express the scur.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":zq7m3edf said:
aussie_cowgirl":zq7m3edf said:
Aussie - not sure if I'm using the proper term - but, scurs are "sex-linked". Scurs are dominant in males & resessive in females. Bulls will express scurs when they inherit 1 gene. Females need to inherit 2 genes to express scurs. A female can have 1 gene & be a carrier, but will not express the scur.

Correct, as far as we know at this stage, bearing in mind the youngest research I've seen on this dates back to the '70s.

I have a 5 yr old scurred cow, hers at only 1 inch buttons. Had (culled) a older cow that we had to take the scurs taken off as a yearling at about 4 inches long (I'm 100% they were scurs).

Alan

KNERSIE":2ipd1ocf said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2ipd1ocf said:
aussie_cowgirl":2ipd1ocf said:

Correct, as far as we know at this stage, bearing in mind the youngest research I've seen on this dates back to the '70s.

This makes sense for my two then. Doppler - the mama cow - was a heifer bred to a composite bull when purchased. That breeding produced Spur - her only scurred heifer. Since then, both cows have been bred to double polled bulls, no more scurs.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":xsc94eue said:
aussie_cowgirl":xsc94eue said:
When i say sex dependent i mean that both sexes can get it, because the poster sounded like she thought it was purely in males.I admit i wasn't sure on the genetics behind scurs so i didn't want to say much. :D

We have a red & white holstein cow that has scurs all her calves to date have been polled we have another which is a Jersey x Angus heifer who's first calf had horns just waiting to see what her 2nd calf will have

Latest posts