Scrotal Hernia

Help Support CattleToday:

Floridaboy

Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2017
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Vet says my bull has a scrotal (inguinal) hernia. I don't have many cows, I'm down to 10 but I'd like to see if he can get them bred this year. The vet told me to watch it and see if it gets worse. He says he should be able to breed the cows, but I need to plan on taking him to the market. Does anyone have experience with this? I don't want to leave the bull with the cows and then him go down and get no salvage value for him. I'm already going to lose money on him, he's a registered Simmental, just 3 years old.
 

wbvs58

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 20, 2011
Messages
5,419
Reaction score
304
Location
S.E. Queensland, Australia
I've had no direct experience with that sort of thing in bulls but there seems to be a lot of swelling there and I'd be a bit worried about the blood supply to both testicles and him getting the job done and with him having to spend a bit of time on his back legs and humping a bit I would think that things might deteriorate.

Ken
 

jerry27150

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 23, 2005
Messages
2,295
Reaction score
24
Location
northern missouri
I would load him while you can get something, can't believe he could breed good. that's farming, bought a red brangus bull 18 months ago for 3500 & got 7 calves, he is going to sale also. have had many that I paid good money for & they had one problem or another & were sold for a loss
 

jerry27150

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 23, 2005
Messages
2,295
Reaction score
24
Location
northern missouri
I would load him while you can get something, can't believe he could breed good. that's farming, bought a red brangus bull 18 months ago for 3500 & got 7 calves, he is going to sale also. have had many that I paid good money for & they had one problem or another & were sold for a loss
 
OP
F

Floridaboy

Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2017
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
The cows have been cycling, and I know he has attempted to breed some of them. He doesn't act like he's in pain and it hasn't effected his libido. I don't have another bull I can use so rather than buying another one, I'd prefer to AI the cows. The only thing I can think of is to take him out and wait then preg check the cows then synchronize and AI the ones that are open. It's going to push back my calving season, but I would hate to go ahead and try to synchronize all the cows and some be short bred to him and abort, then I'd be even farther behind in the long run.
 

bmoore87

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2013
Messages
263
Reaction score
0
We had a bull with a inguinal hernia. We bred with him a couple years after first diagnosed and he got the cows bred no problems. We sold him as it got bigger but were warned before breeding with him that one day he could be fine and could be dead the next as it progressed. Surgery was an option but was fairly expensive and odds of success were iffy.

It is genetic so offspring might carry the trait.
 

Latest posts

Top