Scraped leg on Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

skip

Reaction score
I noticed one of our cows has a scrape on her front leg 8" above her hoof. It's about 2" in diameter. Not deep just and old fashioned "strawberry". I can put her in the chute and put some medicine on it but I'm sure she will just lick in off.

Since she can lick it and keep it relatively clean, will it eventually heal or is there a way to medicate it and keep her from licking if off?

Do you really think she'll lick it off?

Spray some wound spray on it if it's not a lot of hassle...can't hurt, and can only help. Otherwise, I imagine it'll heal on it's own if it's just a scrape.

Alice :)

I wouldn't even worry about it. As long as it shows no sign of infection, it should be fine. I've seen some really nasty wounds heal up without problems... cows are a lot more resistant than, say, horses.

you could also go to the vet and get the fly spray that lasts for near a week and spray on the wound to keep the flies off if they are bad in your area.
The vet did it to our bull after she lanced (2-3" cut) and clean his jaw. Worked well

RR

skip":3uyct186 said:
I noticed one of our cows has a scrape on her front leg 8" above her hoof. It's about 2" in diameter. Not deep just and old fashioned "strawberry". I can put her in the chute and put some medicine on it but I'm sure she will just lick in off.

Since she can lick it and keep it relatively clean, will it eventually heal or is there a way to medicate it and keep her from licking if off?

Based on your description, I wouldn't give it another thought - it will heal on it's own.

Latest posts