Scours

Help Support CattleToday:

garnetann

Reaction score
OK, so I learned something this week. My 2 month old bottle calf has been healthy as a horse, (so to speak). Was a premie out of a very young heifer and mama had no milk. So she ended up at my house on a bottle. Eats great, poops great, eats grass and calf creep, the whole nine yards. Yesterday she started scouring something terrible. Just shooting out yellow watery poop. I gave her a bolus, nuflor and spectgard. Just baffled me what hit her that hard and fast. The culprit you ask? She lives in my backyard, have raised numerous calves back there, no problems. This one got into the hosta plants. Turns out they will make calves and cows sick. Normally cows won't eat them if they have plenty of grass, but apparently this little one did not read the book and ate them. So dug them up and she is doing much better. Still going easy on her tummy for a day or so to make sure it all passes, but is scary stuff.

Not familiar with the plant, but have had many bottle calves with scours, even on medicated replacer. We always give bolus and electrolytes.

So it took about 5 days, but got her through it. The last thing we had to do was to give her a bunch of probiotics and that seemed to do the trick. She is back to her old self, happy and frisky.