Scours

Help Support CattleToday:

The CEO

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying some cattle from a guy that has had scours in his herd for years. My question is, can my calves pick up scours from other cows brought into my herd that has had scours (or have been in with other calves that has had it)? I have been blest to have never had scours in my herd or really any sickness and I don't want to get it stated if I can help it. I guess I really don't know what scours is or what causes it.

Thanks!

Scours in his herd for years....very BIG red flag!!! There is a problem somewhere in that herd, management, pastures ....any or all of the above.

Many causes for scours. Do his cows have the 'scours' also?

I (personally) would not purchase any of those animals.

Is this the same place where the cow with mastitis came from?

Katherine

The CEO":2ahnpcts said:
. My question is, can my calves pick up scours from other cows brought into my herd that has had scours (or have been in with other calves that has had it)?

Yes!!

I guess I really don't know what scours is or what causes it.

Scours is diarrhea, the runs, squirts, you get the idea. Causes range from anywhere from protazoas, bacterias, viruses. E-Coli is very common. (Escherlicia coliform bacteria). BVD (Bovine Viral Diarrhea) which is infectious. Johnes which is infectious.

Thanks!

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":3bt3gtd3 said:
Scours in his herd for years....very BIG red flag!!! There is a problem somewhere in that herd, management, pastures ....any or all of the above.

I (personally) would not purchase any of those animals.
What she said.

The CEO":rzaf5tlw said:
I am thinking about buying some cattle from a guy that has had scours in his herd for years. My question is, can my calves pick up scours from other cows brought into my herd that has had scours (or have been in with other calves that has had it)? I have been blest to have never had scours in my herd or really any sickness and I don't want to get it stated if I can help it. I guess I really don't know what scours is or what causes it.

Thanks!

Scours is another name for diarrhea and, like Katherine stated, it can be caused by anything from becoming wet and chilled to Johnes Disease - depending on the age of the animal. The most common causes for scours in calves are E-Coli, Rotavirus, Corona Virus, and Cryptosprodium - I think there are a couple more, but their names escape me at this moment. Provided the scours are limited to his calves, and they are not caused by Cryptosporidium, I don't think I would be overly concerned because a lot of calves can (and do, depending on management) develop scours in the first month or so of life, most of them are easily treated, and most of the causative agents can be controlled through vaccinating the cows with some type of scour guard vaccine prior to delivery - thus eradicating most of the problems. The exception to this statement is Cryptosporidium. Cryptosporidium is caused by a protozoa, there is no prevention, and no cure. All one can do is provide supportive care, and pray. If, however, it is his cows that are scouring then I would be a little more cautious, and do much more thorough check-up, as this situtation could prove to be a lot more serious.

Scours is mainly (95%) management issue. Unless it is like Msscamp and the others stated Cryptosporidia, and Johnes (know nothing on that one).
I would first want to know if he vaccinated for IBR/BVD etc, pre breeding and with what.
Does he vaccinate for scours?
Is it E coli or blood scours? This hits new borns and is hard to treat, hard on the pocket book and i would not want to bring it home
Corona and Roto virus are pretty common.
colostridium prefringent 1 and 2 also vaccinated for.

But like i said scours is management.
This includes but not limited to:
Problems/stress birthing
timely colostrum...but absorbtion will be limited with stressed births
enviromental...did the calf get dumped in a snow bank at birth or a real cold rainstorm?
enviromental...crowding of the cow calf area, dirty cow calf area, dirty calving area, do they calve in the wintering area?
envirmental...storms with young calves and not enough of some type of shelter or bedding.

Look at his operation, and look at yours. What are your different management practices. Something you are doing is eliminating your chances for scours. Something he is doing is not.
Keep in mind, if you buy his animals, your calving area, your cow calf area, your wintering area needs to increase with the increase of herd animals, otherwise you will for sure have scours.
I would be more concerned about the other possible diseases, the ones you can not control. The ones that can take out a calf crop if not managed correctly...BVD IBR etc

Latest posts