scours

Help Support CattleToday:

I have had very good luck with a antibacterial dishsoap, a couple of big squirts and the antibacterial soap will clear off the bacteria off the villi and start letting the calf start to absorbe the nutrients again, there stool will get very loose for a day or so, and it will start to thicken the following day--good luck ---

the calf should not blow too many bubbles--just kiddin

> I have had very good luck with a
> antibacterial dishsoap, a couple
> of big squirts and the
> antibacterial soap will clear off
> the bacteria off the villi and
> start letting the calf start to
> absorbe the nutrients again, there
> stool will get very loose for a
> day or so, and it will start to
> thicken the following day--good
> luck ---

> the calf should not blow too many
> bubbles--just kiddin

just a couple of squirts directly in it's mouth?

[email protected]

I would NOT recommend this treatment. For several reasons, including death as a possibility from the treatment, not the disease. I worked at a clinic which used this treatment and watched too many calves die. You need to know exactly what you're treating then treat exactly for it. Viruses and bacteria can have prevention with vaccines or boluses, and symptomatic or specific treatment. Parasites can have specific treatment as well. Cleanliness in the calving pens and the cow's udders, and good protection will eliminated many if not all of the scour problems. V

Rebecca,

Try opening your ears and listening!!

A Vet tells you your method may kill the calf and you say to at least give it a try.

I can't believe you are still encouraging someone to take your advice when an experienced medical professional has just stated not to try this method.

Vicki, thanks for the input. It's always appreciated.

> AT LEAST GIVE IT A TRY, IF SIGNS
> DONT IMPROVE--CALL YOUR VET

> Rebecca,
> Try opening your ears and
> listening!!

> A Vet tells you your method may
> kill the calf and you say to at
> least give it a try.

> I can't believe you are still
> encouraging someone to take your
> advice when an experienced medical
> professional has just stated not
> to try this method.

> Vicki, thanks for the input. It's
> always appreciated.

hey linda, was I even talking to you, I can call myself a vet too "rebecca the vet" now you have to listen to me, right, we have used this method on our farm and it has worked every time, it was just a suggestion, im not forcing anyone to do this--vicki if you had problems with this method at your clinic I believe you and its probably just a matter of time before I start having problems, it may not be the right cure for the problem, but im not lying, it has worked for me and my family on our ranch for years and that's all I was saying, vicki all your help is very appreciated, your knowledge has helped me out in the past so I thank you. and for linda I keep my ears open but I still cant hear these words on the Internet, all I can do is read the messages, but what do I know maybe you can hear these messages, somehow

Rebecca, I call myself a vet because I went to veterinary college and graduated in 1986 with a degree in veterinary medicine. I have been in large or mixed animal practice since. I appreciate that you don't know who the heck I am, but I have posted in the past where you could find out that I am indeed a licenced, practicing veterinarian in the Province of Ontario. If you have similar qualifications, please feel free to call yourself rebecca the vet, otherwise, please refrain. Thanks.

Latest posts