scours

Help Support CattleToday:

funky 4-Her

Reaction score
So, we have 3 calves that are sucking their moms ranging in age from 1 1/2 months to 3 weeks. In the past week they have all started scouring. (their moms are all holstein x hereford) The oldest one has brown scours but the younger two have yellowish white. My dad hasn't done anything about it yet, says they will get over it on their own. But i dont think so. Comments and suggestions would be a big help. :help: :help:

The younger ones probably just have milk scours and they will get over it when they start eating grass etc. The older one may possibly just have grass squirts. Hard to tell without seeing thr material. Iff you can get a hold of them you could just give them couple of pepto bismal tablets, ot any feed store should have a medicated scour pill. Make sure you use a balling gun or pill administratiion device and not your fingers. Calves can really seriously chew up fingers if you get your hands in their mouthss.
Dehydration is the biggest worry. Depends on how often they're squirting and if they look like they're not feeling well.

they aren't out on pasture, my dad wont put them out because he doesn't want them getting out under the wire on the road or anywhere else there not supposed to be. I have been after him to put up another wire lower to keep them in but it hasn't happened yet. It would be easy to get a hold on them. They dont look like they are hurting, they run up and down the barn when they get the chance. Could it be because they only get to suck the cows 2 times a day when we milk our house cow. The beefies come in and we let the calves out to suck them.

funky 4-Her":2yu3f59b said:
Could it be because they only get to suck the cows 2 times a day when we milk our house cow. The beefies come in and we let the calves out to suck them.
Suree could be. 2 UGE meals instad of several smaller meals. Are the cows getting any grain. I've seen grain in the cow cause the same problem because of the richness (I'm assuming)

yup the cows get grain both times they come in, Im not sure how much that is, 2 scoops. Its dairy feed because we used to have a dairy herd and we still order the same mix.

So if it is because the milk is too rich what do we do, just wait it out?

funky 4-Her":7rf1xhx3 said:
yup the cows get grain both times they come in, Im not sure how much that is, 2 scoops. Its dairy feed because we used to have a dairy herd and we still order the same mix.

So if it is because the milk is too rich what do we do, just wait it out?
Wait it out wile keeping an eye on the calves for dehydratioon, cut off the grain, turn them out to pasture. That's about all the options I can think of.