Scours

Help Support CattleToday:

mhill

Reaction score
Live in Eastern Pa, had cows calving in last weeks storm and now the filds are mud and I am seeing quite a bit of scours incidents. Anybody else seeing these problems?

sounds like your pasture has greened to quickly filled with rich chlorophyll for there young stomach. move from pasture like that and it may straighten them up. (feed some hay)

mhill":2xu9tarp said:
Live in Eastern Pa, had cows calving in last weeks storm and now the filds are mud and I am seeing quite a bit of scours incidents. Anybody else seeing these problems?

You might want to consider scour-guarding your cows. It tends to help a lot, even with wet weather and calves getting chilled.

There are various vaccinations on the market to help prevent scours by passing on antibodies to E-Coli, Clostridium, etc., through the colostrum. We used Scour-gard3, and it greatly reduced our incidence of scours.

My heifers have scours they are around a year old. Is there anything I can do for it?

B&LFarms":1p4dmk57 said:
My heifers have scours they are around a year old. Is there anything I can do for it?

What are you feeding them? Depending on your area, it is a definite possibility that the diarrhea your heifers are having is because of the lush spring growth of grass, and that will correct itself given a little time. If your feeding a lot of grain, that will do it as well. In either scenario, you might want to think about feeding some grass hay, as that usually helps to firm up the manure. The type of scours being discussed in this thread generally applies only to very young calves.

mhill":19w68hq2 said:

I must miss something in this post just where did they say the pastures are rich and lust???????I see that they are full of mud.

Mud and other crap cause scours especially if they have been under stress from weather extremes.Everyone is seeing that this year the rain and snow precip. where it is usually nice is reaking havock on all of animals.Treat what needs it otherwise do not put more stress on the animals untill the weather and surroundings clear up.

Syd
Believe me we all feel your dissmay.

If your post is directed at my response, you might want to learn to read a little better because my post was directed to a different poster in a different situation.

Thanks very much MSSCAMP it is actually very green and lush around here, we are going to hay in the next couple of weeks for the first time this year. They eat pasture with grain only a few times a week. Now that you mention it, the scours did begin when the pasture got very green. Will feed some grass hay.....thx again

Latest posts