SCOURS?

Help Support CattleToday:

Roxanne Johnson

Reaction score
I am new to raising cattle. I just purchased three a couple of weeks ago. At least one on a regular basis has had diarrhea. I am concerned and my vet has not returned any of my calls. Some one at a local feed store told me it was scours. My cattle are about 6 months old, this seems older than the cows in the articles I have read. I have given them electrolytes. They all are eating well, playing, and generally look like they feel fine. I took their temp and it was a little elevated, but I also wonder if there are better times to take temps or should it be consistent no matter what. Please help!! Thank You!

It could be anything or nothing at all. As long as the calves feel good I would not be too worried. A sick calf will drop its ears and head but it may be too late by then. Watch it close and please give us more information such as rthe severaity of the diarrhea.

What is the color and viscosity of the manure.
Green and forms a patty, I wouldn't worry.
Good feed will loosen up a cow and overfeeding will really loosen it up and fresh spring pasture don't stand within ten feet of the animal.
Six months is a bit old for scours IMO.
If they are playing and feeding and acting normal I'd just keep and eye on them.
Just my two bits worth
DMc

Thanks to you that have responded. I am new to this and I want to the right thing... I only have my horse knowledge to go off of.
His manure is about the consistency of maybe applesauce? Sometimes firmer, sometimes looser. They are eating a lot of hay with a lot of clover. The color of the manure is not green, more brown but not real dark, and it does sort of form a patty. They dont seem to be feeling bad. They eat a lot and are pretty active.

Thanks for you help!

Latest posts