Scours and no dehydration?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Lost 2 calves this week. One was 10 days old, the other about 2 weeks old. Both had messy behinds, indicating scours, but no dehydration evident. Both had been nursing, because one was found with a full belly. Both calves were born during a wet spell, and We calved this year in a spot years ago that which the previous owner had scours problems, but my husband thought after many years, the virus would be gone. How long does the scours virus stay in the ground? The calves are moved off this area with in 2 days of being born. I think these deaths are from scours, and we should take a sample of their stuck on poop to the vet to confirm. Husband thinks since its old stuck on stuff, it cant be done. Whats everyones opinion on that, and if not scours, what??? We WILL not calve their again, thats for sure. We are treating any calf at first sign of messy behinds immediatly for scours now, as these two dead ones went down quickly. Any help would be appreciated. BTW- we calved in a differant area last year, and had no scour problem. thats why we think its ground related.

[email protected]

If the calf had scours, it was losing vitamins, minerals and water. Scours equals dehydration. Water eliminated faster than consumed, by all form of liquid intake. Viral scours are tough. Bacterial scours are just about as bad, but can be treated. Take specific note of scours symptoms and it will assist your vet with treatment.

> Lost 2 calves this week. One was
> 10 days old, the other about 2
> weeks old. Both had messy behinds,
> indicating scours, but no
> dehydration evident. Both had been
> nursing, because one was found
> with a full belly. Both calves
> were born during a wet spell, and
> We calved this year in a spot
> years ago that which the previous
> owner had scours problems, but my
> husband thought after many years,
> the virus would be gone. How long
> does the scours virus stay in the
> ground? The calves are moved off
> this area with in 2 days of being
> born. I think these deaths are
> from scours, and we should take a
> sample of their stuck on poop to
> the vet to confirm. Husband thinks
> since its old stuck on stuff, it
> cant be done. Whats everyones
> opinion on that, and if not
> scours, what??? We WILL not calve
> their again, thats for sure. We
> are treating any calf at first
> sign of messy behinds immediatly
> for scours now, as these two dead
> ones went down quickly. Any help
> would be appreciated. BTW- we
> calved in a differant area last
> year, and had no scour problem.
> thats why we think its ground
> related.

[email protected]

>Husband thinks
> since its old stuck on stuff, it
> cant be done. Your husband is right. I didn't have a swab kit, so I put a q-tip up the butt to get a fresh sample then sealed in a zip lock bag and crossed my fingers. They cultured so much different junk it was worthless. Also you have to get the smample BEFORE you start antibiotics. With some forms of scours their insides get a coating that keeps them from absorbing the fluids you give. The belly will stay full while tha calf gets weak and dehydrates. Only cure is to get him to the vet and on an IV while the meds get the problem under control.

[email protected]

Latest posts