Scours again

Help Support CattleToday:

jallen

Reaction score
I've got two more calves with scours now. One 45 days and the other 15 days old. I don't understand what is going on here. Both of these calves got an oral vaccine within the first 4 hours of birth--equalizer I believe is what I've used this year? I can't remember the brand for sure. I saw both of these in labor so I know exactly how old they were when they got it and they both nursed great and early. One was both in a low area of the pasture that was very wet so I moved him before he had even stood onto dry ground. What am I doing wrong that is allowing this to happen?

I will admit my vaccination program has been a work in progress but I've been working all cows twice a year and vaccinated last year although can't recall what with. I worked my cattle this weekend and all cows got multi min, vira shield and dectomax. I worked the calves also, they age from two weeks to close to 3 months. All got vira shield , dectomax and covexin8 and I will booster the calves again as it calls for. Is there a vaccine I can get in the cows that can help prevent this? I'm busy as can be so preventative maintenance is a big deal to me. These calves have gray stool like the last one I treated but they are not getting lethargic like the last one did. I caught these earlier and treated today with la200, bananine and some boluses. Any input will be appreciated.

Our calves get this in the spring. One herd seems to get it more than the others, so i'm guessing they get it from the ground. We never treat them unless it gets unseasonably hot. I've found that the only danger from these scours is dehydration and heat. When it gets hot, they get hot and then get dehydrated. Over the many years of them getting it every year, i've had to bag maybe 4 calves in the field. Once hydrated, they are fine. When they start getting it, i patrol the pastures during the day to see if i get any who show heat stress or dehydration. My test to see if they need something is...if i can touch them they need help. Once i see a calf with it, it runs it course through the calves in a couple weeks...
You can take a stool sample to your vet to see if what you have is treatable. I've asked ours about it and he said to do just what i've been doing. So my vet seems to believe its not treatable via vaccine or antibiotics...

Latest posts