Scour Treatment

Help Support CattleToday:

Sir Loin":16yp2ejt said:
Re:
Same principle as feeding charcoal. It absorbs excess fluids and make it slower coming out. with the electroliytes they stay in the guts long enough that the good can be absorbed into the intestines instead of just whistling through.
HUMmmmmm? Makes sense, but it is contradictory to what I have been taught, if I am understanding what you are saying.

Are you saying the "gel" is acting as an anti-flushing agent?
SL

i haven't bottle fed calves in years but when i did i'd give a calf scour bolus antibiot(http://www.drugs.com/vet/calf-scour-bol ... iotic.html) and the re-sorb.
without the re-sorb it would just flush right thru them.

Re:
without the re-sorb it would just flush right thru them.
That is where I'm having a problem.

When I have a calf that shows defiant signs of dehydration I want to flush him.
And as fast as I can. And often do it from both ends.
Not so much to remove/treat the cause of the scours but to get and keep fluid in the large intestines, as that is where fluids are absorbed.

Which is why I use sugar water ( all he will drink ) in the front end and warn water in the back end for 24 hrs with calf scour bolus antibiotic. That is my flush.

After that I can see how a gel would/could be helpful.
I guess I am saying I treat the dehydration first then the cause of the dehydration.
Although when I do my flush, I am actually treating the cause somewhat by giving calf scour bolus antibiotic and flushing at least some of the cause out.
If that makes sense?
SL

I'm assuming we're talking about bottle calves as nobody but cross-7 mentioned them. All we did most times for scours was make sure they still got 1/2 gallon of fluids twice a day but cut back on the amount of milk replacer we put in the water. Most of our calves we raised on milk right out of the pipeline so didn't have that many cases of scours but when we had the occasional case we simply cut back on the milk some and diluted it with water. I know some on the board disagree with this approach but it worked well for us. Hydration is more important in these instances than protein and fat and it usually only takes a couple of days to get them turned around.

TexasBred":2oljtz87 said:
I'm assuming we're talking about bottle calves as nobody but cross-7 mentioned them. All we did most times for scours was make sure they still got 1/2 gallon of fluids twice a day but cut back on the amount of milk replacer we put in the water. Most of our calves we raised on milk right out of the pipeline so didn't have that many cases of scours but when we had the occasional case we simply cut back on the milk some and diluted it with water. I know some on the board disagree with this approach but it worked well for us. Hydration is more important in these instances than protein and fat and it usually only takes a couple of days to get them turned around.
In the past 30 years the only scours we had were in calves on their mothers. The few bottle calves we've messed with haven;t had them.

dun":18jsaucu said:
TexasBred":18jsaucu said:
In the past 30 years the only scours we had were in calves on their mothers. The few bottle calves we've messed with haven;t had them.
We had a few over the years scour on cow's milk that was pulled from the pipeline during milking but it was never anythign serious.

TexasBred":147j9n4s said:
Sir Loin":147j9n4s said:
TexasBred

Re:
Good brand of electrolytes but doesn't do much for scours.
Son of a gun, that's the second time today we agree! Our planets must be aligned just right, ya think.Re-Sorb and kick start are both good electrolyte products for "dehydration" but do little for the scours.
For the scours you need an antibiotic.
I use "durvet" "Calf Scours Bolus" antibiotic, plus "kick start" for the dehydration.
See: http://www.durvet.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=63
SL
Naw....one of us is just schizophrenic. :lol2:

I'll agree with all 3 of you guys.... :D

We usually give 5cc Nuflor down the throat and 6cc Nuflor in neck (under skin) . Works rapidly curing bacterial scours. This is with calves on cows, so far the jersey girls have not had the scours..... they are vaccinated to the hilt!! LOL! Anyway, doesn't hurt to know more than one way to fix a scour problem.
Thanks for the extra knowledge
Valerie