scour guard ?

Help Support CattleToday:

I used the calf guard that you shoot down the calf's mouth the year I had the scours train wreck. I came to the conclusion that it wasn't giving me protection against the bug I was fighting.

Thanks jillaroo, I have heard the same thing that the results were about the same as the scour guard that ya use at 30 days before calving, but atleast it saves another trip of running the cows through the chute, Thanks again.

We have been using the calf guard but give it 12 hours after birth as the anti toxin we give can't be given on an empty stomach. So far only one has needed help - Baytril down the throat and under the skin works magic as does Nufor used the same way.
Valerie

I treat some July calves for "scours". Seemed to help at the time. Now two of the are poor doers, and recently developed dirty butts. Does this sound like cocsilious or something else (sp)?

Stocker Steve":3m45ujpj said:
I treat some July calves for "scours". Seemed to help at the time. Now two of the are poor doers, and recently developed dirty butts. Does this sound like cocsilious or something else (sp)?
From what I understand, coccidiosis is present in their gut all the time. Depending on the "load" it shows up as bloody scours when the calf is stressed - weaning - bad weather - poor feed - other illnesses. It is usually pretty easy to control with a coccidiostat in your minerals (rumensin or bovitec) - but if you suspect coccidiosis - you can treat with sulfa boluses - or Corid in their water.

Latest posts