Scottish Highland Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

logicalgal

Reaction score
I live in Alberta Canada on an acreage. I would like to get a smaller breed of cattle (two or three), because I am new at farming, and have heard that the Scottish Highland breed is smaller and gentle and hardy for Canadian winters and is also a superb breed for beef.
Is there anyone out there who can help me get more information on this breed, or anyone who has Scottish Highland cattle experience? :)

This URL is for a discussion board that is owned by a Highland breeder promoter

dun

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CowsinTraining/promote

logicalgal":39o3e9qj said:
I live in Alberta Canada on an acreage. I would like to get a smaller breed of cattle (two or three), because I am new at farming, and have heard that the Scottish Highland breed is smaller and gentle and hardy for Canadian winters and is also a superb breed for beef.
Is there anyone out there who can help me get more information on this breed, or anyone who has Scottish Highland cattle experience? :)

they are very efectionate cattle. Highland milk has a high butterfat content, averaging 7%, but sometimes 10%. They eat what other cattle pass by, and get fat on it. They are extremely intelligent,they do not stress easily, are disease, and have a very good temperament.

One warning: Never stand behind a Highlander, you are a likely candidate to get hoofmarks on your chest. They are very effective with their back hooves. They are too dumb to use their horns so they use their hooves as an alternative. Just a fair warning.

Not too bad with their front ones either! When I halterbroke my yearling Highland heifer last month, she would rear and strike with her front feet, like a horse. We had a major battle, but I eventually won and she now leads, somewhat reluctantly, but she leads.

Ann B

Oregonian":ln38a2pq said:
One warning: Never stand behind a Highlander, you are a likely candidate to get hoofmarks on your chest. They are very effective with their back hooves. They are too dumb to use their horns so they use their hooves as an alternative. Just a fair warning.

I have a few highlanders. they are very quiet and will occasionally nose around me when I'm cutting bale strings or fixing the corral. I've been hit by a horn occasionally but not through any malice on the cow's part. They are much more dangerous with their hind feet but not any worse then some of my angus cows.

logicalgal":4k4scpxn said:

You might look at Galloway- They are much like the highlander, polled, and produce excellent beef. Work good when crossed with angus. They have the extra layer of hair which makes them very winter hardy.

I saw a study done at Montana State University several years ago- the Galloway came out on top for winter hardiness and were about 30% more energy efficient for winter feeding.

I agree with you Oldtimer. I have both and would say the beef is better from the Highlanders but the shaggy coat even in the crossbreds gets noticed at the sale barn more than the galloway crosses. If you are eating them, I'd have Highlanders but if you need to sell some of them I would go for the Galloway and cross them back to a hereford or angus bull. Both crosses make really nice looking cattle.

Latest posts