Scottish Highland Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

It sounds to me like the law is that you can't slaughter a cow pregnant in her third trimester, and OP is being accused of just that.
There is a herd of Highland cattle down the road from me, I would be shocked if any of those calves were 92 cm at birth, let alone late 2nd trimester.
So my guess would be that if there was a 92 cm calf in the bin it would not belong to a Highland, but that's only my opinion.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I have never heard of measuring the crown rump length. Interesting. Is this a measurement they use on live animals? Like we measure height for frame size - or circumference at the naval for a weight.

It's a pretty accurate measurement for fetal development, especially in the first couple of trimesters. By the time a fetus is 92 cm, it should also have pigmented skin and hair that a person could use to identify a breed.

Not that this site gives actual measurements for any particular breed, but it does explain the measurements relative to each other and their significance.
The crown to rump measurement is called the Top Line on here.
http://www.bovineengineering.com/linera_male.html, there is a page for females as well.

Hey, you are absolutely right, ordinarily the crown rump length is used for fetal measurements. There are many studies by academics with the difference of feeding stuffs, or disections on calves ect. that use crl for purposes of measure. Much stuff I didn't want to know really. Body length is generally used for live calves, but sometimes crown rump length. Most studies are done on Holstein and Angus. Stuff on Zebu and others similar, just nothing on Highland. Think it is because Highland are not used in dairy production or kept in confinement. As there is no information, such as picture, or tooth eruption, all I can do is try to prove the vet wrong. Seems the vets word is taken as gospel. Waiting now on a court date. Think it was an abandoned calf, but hard to prove with no evidence. This size is last 10th, big no no in Europe. Thanks for your interest

Latest posts