School Research dug up a lot of family history

Help Support CattleToday:

FarmGirl10

Reaction score
I had to write a paper and for it I needed to research part of my family and stuff that they did in the country that they were from. Well, I had always heard that we were descendents of Royal blood, but now I know it for sure. :banana: And I found out some other really interesting things. :D

I traced my Irish roots all the way back to the tenth century, which at the time we lived in Normandy. Then in about the thirteenth century my ancestors left France with Strongbow (The viking, who was the Earl of Pembroke) and settled in Ireland. Here he was named the Baron of Galtrim, and was passed down to his heirs. Then one of them got killed in a battle and now haunts the Malahide Castle (One of the few standing Irish castles).

There are a lot more interesting things that I found, but I don't want to bore you even more.

Genealogy was a favorite pass time for me. There are some famous and infamous characters in my tree.

Anyone ever hear of John Wesley Hardin?

I had ancestors on both sides of the Taylor/Sutton fued.

9 of my ancestors fought at San Jacinto. 1 died 4 days later from wounds suffered at the battle. I always wondered if they perhaps knew one another. Surely a few of them did.

I have a aunt who is in to that stuff big time .I find it very interesting but sometimes you find more than you want to

john250":2fv2i3lx said:
No need to do a lot of research. If you want know your family tree just go into politics and your opponents will do all the digging for you.

Yeah,thats the only thing keeping me from being your next president.

backhoeboogie":1lpuenpz said:
Genealogy was a favorite pass time for me. There are some famous and infamous characters in my tree.

9 of my ancestors fought at San Jacinto. 1 died 4 days later from wounds suffered at the battle. I always wondered if they perhaps knew one another. Surely a few of them did.
He's really in your in your family tree? lol

Tracing your family history can be alot of fun and its also alot of work. I like knowing family backgrounds, but some folks dont give a dang about where they came from, nor do some think it even matters.
I was fortunate to have an uncle who did a great indepth research into our geneology once her retired.
Most of my family history on my Dad's side is mostlyall Cherokee Indian with some Dutch thrown in there. Mom's side is mostly German/Jew and Algonquin Indian from back east.

FarmGirl10":awav4i1w said:
backhoeboogie":awav4i1w said:

He's really in your in your family tree? lol

:D From my paternal grandmother's acestry.

backhoeboogie":167zcy8x said:

Yes I have met several of Johns family members. There were a few of them that lived here. Some of them owned a drug store down . It closed in the late 70's.

I keep digging up more and more stuff, its amazing. I can see why a lot of people love doing this. I think I'm going to look up my German heritage one of these days too. :D

backhoeboogie":wya76iur said:

so i guess its not safe to snore around you.

That's cool! For my senior project in High School I repaired stones at the town cemetery then did research on all the people whose stones I fixed...it was really neat! I haven't been able to find much on my family, a lot of the programs/sites cost money so yeah.

I guess i'm lucky, alot of family trees in WV are like power poles they don't fork.

I know more about my Mom's side of the family then I do my Dad's.
One of our cousins dug up a lot of history on the family and made it clear back to the tombstone dated 1793 in Russia. I think he quit there.
Know quite a bit about the hubby's family and a half cousin is doing a research and has asked for some pictures I found.

I dont know if you've answered this (havent read the whole forum) but how did you go about finding all of this. I really want to research my Dad's side of the family. All i know is theyve been in kansas since my great grandfather arrived there. I think family history and name is really important.

Latest posts