School Research dug up a lot of family history

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a neighbor who is big in the mormon church he was telling me awhile back that they have came up with a computer program that they will come out and demonstrate and teach you how to operate that you can use on your pc

The Mormons have one of the largest genealogy data bases that exists

My dad has a book that traces his family back to the 1600s and it is neat to look at but he loaned it to his sister yrs ago and about 50 yrs disappeared out of it so that kinda sucks

CattleHand":okpgyis3 said:
I dont know if you've answered this (havent read the whole forum) but how did you go about finding all of this. I really want to research my Dad's side of the family. All i know is theyve been in kansas since my great grandfather arrived there. I think family history and name is really important.
Well, I actually had a lot of information before starting. I knew what county we left (also it's a relatively rare last name), had the family crest/coat of arms, and already new a good deal of family history on that side. Also, I was able to search through some Irish records. I can't find anything about my dads side of the family though. :(

One way is through DNA my aunt had my dad swad and put it on a data base .I guess other distant family can do a search and it will show matches.She made herself the contact since she enjoys doing it so much.She has even collected medals from past wars that my family members should of received.The DNA has to be collected from a male so it may help you with your dad.

CattleHand":1mx5nop8 said:
I dont know if you've answered this (havent read the whole forum) but how did you go about finding all of this. I really want to research my Dad's side of the family. All i know is theyve been in kansas since my great grandfather arrived there. I think family history and name is really important.

CH I have found these sites a great help. www.OneGreatFamily.com
findmypast.com
TribalPages.com
also if you go on google search engine and type in the search box Mormon Genealogy site you should get a lot of information on finding your family and how to make a tree. I now have over 300 people in just my Mums side of the family now in my tree. It can be time consuming and a lot of fun. I have found I had a Sir in my family and an Area in Yorkshire was named after my family and a village bares his name. (if anyone has seen the film The Railway Children, with Jenny Aggerta, that was filmed in the area, Keighley WestYorkshire).....Hope this is of some help to you, happy hunting.....Chris

ps I do have an account with Ancestry.co.uk so if anyone would like me to look up anything pm me and I will try to do so, it is not always possible to find people but no harm in looking. this is for England only, unfortunately the early records of the Irish registry was destroyed in a fire, so very few remain, as I am finding trying to find my Dads side of the family.

Latest posts