School Grade Inflation

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2005
Messages
16,565
Reaction score
0
Location
texas
TB i thought you was better than that to jump on a wagon against a person an their experances but i guess not.but the facts are this i was going to quit school or that because i didnt need the stress an strain of what was going on.vette i can leave it they cant shows what nice place CT is getting tobe again.
 

TexasBred

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
31,029
Reaction score
546
Location
Heart of Texas
bigbull338":3i83ala3 said:
TB i thought you was better than that to jump on a wagon against a person an their experances but i guess not.but the facts are this i was going to quit school or that because i didnt need the stress an strain of what was going on.vette i can leave it they cant shows what nice place CT is getting tobe again.
Jumping on no wagon Bull. Just tired of your BS I guess. All I've done is encourage everyone to try and get a good education and be willing to learn all their life. Read my posts again. If any of them apply learn from them. If not ignore them. I know where I'm puttin' my money.
 

bigbull338

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2005
Messages
16,565
Reaction score
0
Location
texas
well ive seen what people know here,an sometimes thats not much.an i sitt back an see if they can answer qs.an those qs rarely are answered.ive seen people with book learning up to their eyeballs not know how todo much of anything without asking some1 how todo it.an ive seen them get degrees an never use them.you got to have some good old horse sense.as for tired of bs alot goes on at CT.so its up to every1 to decide whos advice is good an whose isnt.
 

larryshoat

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 23, 2007
Messages
3,475
Reaction score
0
Location
Ohio
1982vett":2abg4gxz said:
Hey guys........isn't it about time to go to your corners on this and leave it alone?

Good advice vett. Seems like school brings back good memories for some, for some painful memories. In either case we're not going back, so it really doesn't matter. What we can all do is fund our schools at a level to make them successful, hold those accountable that need it. In the end do you think the folks that are in Washington now are interested in our rural schools being successful ? If we think about it we all know the answer to that question.

Unfortunately with our schools the same thing happens that has happened in this thread, we circle up the wagons and start shooting at each other. I'm not picking sides, I just can't believe the people involved in this, you guys never act like this, I think this winter is getting to us.

Larry
 

Lammie

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 2, 2006
Messages
7,287
Reaction score
0
Location
TX
We finally have a cell phone policy where I work. We had one before but it was not enforced. Kid automatically gets the phone taken up and has to pay a fine and call their parents to tell them about it, in the office in front of office personnel. The fines get more steep and is accompanied by on campus suspension if it becomes chronic.

And while I'm on here, talking about colleges... Online colleges really get my goat.

Here you have a young lady on the commercial saying that "everyone can go to school in their pajamas!"

Okay, there are some courses that are good taken on line. Basic english comp, history, stuff like that. But as for getting a total degree online, well, I'm not a fan. And if any of you are going to school online, don't get offended. I just think that there are too many of these places popping up. They attract people who often can't get into any other college or are attracted by the thought that they can get a degree online, only to discover that it is wortless and none of the credits will transfer.

As a former hiring supervisor, if I had a choice between candidate A, who went to Fred's Online School of Learnin' and Candidate B, who went to an accredited university and actually made the effort to put on clothing and go to and actual class, well, I'm taking Candidate B.

Not to mention that these online places are VERY expensive and they aren't really interested in education as much as they are the grant money guaranteed by the federal government.

Talk about dummied down...
 

ga.prime

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 22, 2010
Messages
5,716
Reaction score
50
Location
So. Cent. Ga.
Ryder":1qhuulj5 said:
I had a buddy in school who was a tall skinny fellow with real long legs. In HS he would sit sort of sideway because the desk was too small and his legs wouldn't fit under it..
I liked that problem.. Got to rub the butt of the girl in the desk in front of me with my knee. :D
 

Ryder

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 18, 2004
Messages
5,859
Reaction score
55
Location
Southeast Louisiana (Rep. of W. Fla.)
Lammie":3mi82ps3 said:
We finally have a cell phone policy where I work. We had one before but it was not enforced. Kid automatically gets the phone taken up and has to pay a fine and call their parents to tell them about it, in the office in front of office personnel. The fines get more steep and is accompanied by on campus suspension if it becomes chronic.

And while I'm on here, talking about colleges... Online colleges really get my goat.

Here you have a young lady on the commercial saying that "everyone can go to school in their pajamas!"

Okay, there are some courses that are good taken on line. Basic english comp, history, stuff like that. But as for getting a total degree online, well, I'm not a fan. And if any of you are going to school online, don't get offended. I just think that there are too many of these places popping up. They attract people who often can't get into any other college or are attracted by the thought that they can get a degree online, only to discover that it is wortless and none of the credits will transfer.

As a former hiring supervisor, if I had a choice between candidate A, who went to Fred's Online School of Learnin' and Candidate B, who went to an accredited university and actually made the effort to put on clothing and go to and actual class, well, I'm taking Candidate B.

Not to mention that these online places are VERY expensive and they aren't really interested in education as much as they are the grant money guaranteed by the federal government.

Talk about dummied down...
Lammie is 100 per cent right.
You can get "instruction" from a computer or a robot.
But you have to have a flesh and blood, face to face human type person to have teaching.
Instructing and teaching are not the same at all.
 

Lammie

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 2, 2006
Messages
7,287
Reaction score
0
Location
TX
I have a student aide who was set on going to ITT Tech. I asked her why and she said she wanted to study computer programming. I told her to start off at a community college, take some of those computer couses, see if it is really something she wants to do. It's a ton cheaper and you can transfer those credits to another college or university.

She did'n't know that the credits would not transfer. It's in the commercial. That tiny, tiny little thing at the very very bottem of the screen.

They have to say it, they just don't want you to be able to see it easily.

There are WAY too many places like this popping up, and I hate to see a talented person waste their time and money on them.

They don't want you, they want your money. They could care less about you.
 

plumber_greg

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 16, 2008
Messages
1,395
Reaction score
24
Location
NW Missouri
Lammie, I think one of my pet peeves is the parent whose child is quite an athlete in their school of 150 students. They get a partial scholarship at some private school to play a game of somekind, maybe $1500. Their parents make up the rest so they can go watch them play. For the money the parents made up, they could have gone to an accredited school that all the credits count. We have a councler at our local school that only knows how to get girls softball scholarships at some Jr. colleges around the area. Then he toots his own horn about how many scholarships he found the kids in the graduating calss. Had one a few years ago, valadectorion I know that's not spelled right) of her class, could have got a full ride to a university, went to some small private school so she could play softball. Wasn't good enough, left school cuz' she wasn't playing, and now pays her own way to Mo. University. What a waste of an opportunity to get a free education. gs
 

jkwilson

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Messages
1,244
Reaction score
36
Location
Southern Indiana
plumber_greg":1x0bp2l1 said:
Lammie, I think one of my pet peeves is the parent whose child is quite an athlete in their school of 150 students. They get a partial scholarship at some private school to play a game of somekind, maybe $1500. Their parents make up the rest so they can go watch them play. For the money the parents made up, they could have gone to an accredited school that all the credits count. We have a councler at our local school that only knows how to get girls softball scholarships at some Jr. colleges around the area. Then he toots his own horn about how many scholarships he found the kids in the graduating calss. Had one a few years ago, valadectorion I know that's not spelled right) of her class, could have got a full ride to a university, went to some small private school so she could play softball. Wasn't good enough, left school cuz' she wasn't playing, and now pays her own way to Mo. University. What a waste of an opportunity to get a free education. gs

Greg, I could have written those very words myself! Our local school has had kids playing at colleges smaller than most high schools where the competition is worse than the intramural leagues at a real school and the tuition minus the "scholarship" is more than several other "better" schools. Play time is over. You aren't going to make a living playing softball. Get to school or get to work.
 

Latest posts

Top