School Board and Superintendent

Help Support CattleToday:

Commercialfarmer

Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions on how to go about handling the local school board and superintendent?

Daughter #2's grade school teacher was let go in the middle of our school year because she was actually being a teacher and not treating all the children as little snowflakes. She did horrible things like make them stay in for recess to finish their work- our daughter had to stay in 3 times before she got the hint. Our daughter found no solace from her mother. This apparently was not the case with another one or two princesses.

The teacher has had 12 years of experience and from all I've and several other parents have observed, she has done a phenomenal job. They are replacing her with a young lady that graduated last week. She wasn't able to fill the position for a few days because she was taking final exams.... obviously she has loads of experience in the classroom :roll: . The reasoning provided for the dismissal of the non-tenured teacher was that she had not established relationships with the children. This of course came only from the teacher as no one else can speak about it.

One parent was told that the he couldn't speak with the principal, but could speak with the assistant and counselor. Upon their entry, they notified him that it would be a short meeting and that they knew what was best for the kids.

I left a message to speak with the principal which wasn't returned, as I expected. Spoke with the president of the school board and she at least gave the appearance of researching the situation as she was supposedly unaware of it's existence.

Anyway, seems like there's been a few members on here that have sat on school boards now or in the past.

What is my best leverage to provide as much discomfort as possible for these highly intelligent beings. Advising the school board president that I would be organizing the parents of the adversely affected children seemed to get a quick promise that this matter would be investigated and a call would be returned tomorrow. She also promised a returned phone call from the principal in question. I have plenty of uncomfortable questions lined up for her. What other recourse might be plausible? Or how should I go about such organization?

Thanks in advance.

Commercialfarmer":25fee1b4 said:
Anyone have any suggestions on how to go about handling the local school board and superintendent?

Daughter #2's grade school teacher was let go in the middle of our school year because she was actually being a teacher and not treating all the children as little snowflakes. She did horrible things like make them stay in for recess to finish their work- our daughter had to stay in 3 times before she got the hint. Our daughter found no solace from her mother. This apparently was not the case with another one or two princesses.

The teacher has had 12 years of experience and from all I've and several other parents have observed, she has done a phenomenal job. They are replacing her with a young lady that graduated last week. She wasn't able to fill the position for a few days because she was taking final exams.... obviously she has loads of experience in the classroom :roll: . The reasoning provided for the dismissal of the non-tenured teacher was that she had not established relationships with the children. This of course came only from the teacher as no one else can speak about it.

One parent was told that the he couldn't speak with the principal, but could speak with the assistant and counselor. Upon their entry, they notified him that it would be a short meeting and that they knew what was best for the kids.

I left a message to speak with the principal which wasn't returned, as I expected. Spoke with the president of the school board and she at least gave the appearance of researching the situation as she was supposedly unaware of it's existence.

Anyway, seems like there's been a few members on here that have sat on school boards now or in the past.

What is my best leverage to provide as much discomfort as possible for these highly intelligent beings. Advising the school board president that I would be organizing the parents of the adversely affected children seemed to get a quick promise that this matter would be investigated and a call would be returned tomorrow. She also promised a returned phone call from the principal in question. I have plenty of uncomfortable questions lined up for her. What other recourse might be plausible? Or how should I go about such organization?

Thanks in advance.
:clap: Thank you for speaking up! Organizing the parents is key-strength in numbers.A group of concerned parents attending the next board meeting should get some attention.
This teacher challenged the current midset of "everybody gets a trophy", & got punished for it. The ones who ultimately pay the price for treating kids as "snowflakes" are the kids.
Ultimately, having more school board members such as yourself, would be the most effective way to address these "highly intelligent beings".

Provided the side of the story heard here is accurate and truthful, I wish you luck commercialfarmer. Not an easy battle to fight against the "system". However you're definitely on the right track. Strength in numbers. One dog barking ain't terrible. But a whole kennel full raising heII will necessitate action. I don't like where the educational system is or where it's heading. Changes have to be made at the top. But you generally have to start at the bottom to get to the top. Not an easy task but I hope you are successful.

I'm guessing her 12 years of experience was not in your school district? That or tenure is awarded very differently in your state. I would also probably talk to her directly. To see what plans she has.

Here the school board superintendent and school board members are elected. as a community we know them all very well and where they live. I never had a problem visiting the office to speak with them or calling them on their phone. I also have never seen a principal that would not speak to a parent. Your child goes there you should be able to sit in the office till they come in and have a private conversation with them. You have not made enough noise yet.

M-5":38xq2efp said:
Here the school board superintendent and school board members are elected. as a community we know them all very well and where they live. I never had a problem visiting the office to speak with them or calling them on their phone. I also have never seen a principal that would not speak to a parent. Your child goes there you should be able to sit in the office till they come in and have a private conversation with them. You have not made enough noise yet.

My mother was a elementary school principal. She could be found every morning and every afternoon standing at the front doors to the school.
She eventually went into administration. Wore out from people bytching about something. But as long as she was principal She was there.
It is the principal s job to deal with parents and 5 is right go directly to the principals office. If you can't get a meeting. Its time to change from defending the teacher to going on offence against the principal.

You will need to find a member of the school board that trust you or someone else that the conversation will never be leaked and find out exactly why she was dismissed. It is very rare to let someone go in the middle of the school year. You will not get anything done this year she is gone, the Principal will fight every turn since you are questioning their authority. Same with the superintendent and board people don't like to have their authority (perceived or not) be questioned. If she has been let go for the reasons you stated your district has a big problem. Your best course of action is to let this go without a fight and find upstanding men and women of principal and conviction run them for seats of the school board until you build a super majority. The board president feigning surprise is BS a dismissal in my state requires action in executive session of a board meeting.

I don't have any experience with this stuff but it seems that a local TV station may like to get involved. It is true that the squeaky wheel gets the peanut butter

I am on our local school board. When the parent was told they couldn't speak to the principal their next call should have been to the superintendent. If no satisfaction was received there then board members should be contacted. The board and the administrators won't end up telling you anything due to confidentiality though. If you can get enough parents together and enough support I would ask to be put on the agenda for the next meeting. By your posts you're intelligent enough that you'll have a good presentation and ask the right questions. I still don't think you will find out much for answers but maybe you can get a gauge on the administrators and the boards character by how they react. Good luck.

Being very familiar with that type of situation and involved on the board parents organized are your best weapon second to a lawyer. School boards hate that and the media that comes with it.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that the teacher was dismissed for bigger things than what you were told.
It is very difficult to fire a teacher let alone mid year.
The reasoning behind the firing has to be very well documented and she was probably written up multiple times or did one horrible thing.
I doubt you will find out the reasoning behind the firing unless you meet up with the teacher and she is willing to tell you.
But, she will only give you her side of the story.

As far as the principle not responding that is horrible.

Hopefully you get the answers that you are looking for.

We have a bullying problem here.. last week and kid threatened to bring a gun to school and shoot my son ... we emailed the school and made several calls none returned.. I found the kids dad at the little dribblers basketball game and ask him to go outside and talk .. I told him what was said and he made his boy apologise.. there have been several ongoing incidents.. I think it's time to show up at the school board meeting with the media .. I know several people that have moved because of the bullying ..

Hunter":2sn15vjk said:
I am going to go out on a limb and say that the teacher was dismissed for bigger things than what you were told.
It is very difficult to fire a teacher let alone mid year.
The reasoning behind the firing has to be very well documented and she was probably written up multiple times or did one horrible thing.
I doubt you will find out the reasoning behind the firing unless you meet up with the teacher and she is willing to tell you.
But, she will only give you her side of the story.

As far as the principle not responding that is horrible.

Hopefully you get the answers that you are looking for.

I'd guarantee the school's attorney was involved in the firing. We wear the phone out calling ours for this and that. A lot goes on behind the scenes that simply can't be discussed.

Commercialfarmer":2hxtkpa1 said:

Daughter #2's grade school teacher was let go in the middle of our school year because she was actually being a teacher and not treating all the children as little snowflakes.

What is my best leverage to provide as much discomfort as possible for these highly intelligent beings?
Really?!?
That was the official reason given?
No bias on your part? because you do seem bitter.
Odd that your question centers on how to be a thorn in the side of school officials, rather than how to an aid your
daughter's blossoming.
Oh well, you still have daughter #1

So you find it odd that he wants a tenured teacher that upholds rules over a teacher still waiting to take final exams ?? Why do people think governing body's are all knowing and correct no matter what ?

I have to agree with a couple of the others. It is very hard to get rid of a teacher mid year. Is there a possibility that there is more going on here than you've been told? Also, mom was a teacher for 20 years. All the hiring and firing done here is done by the school board. The principle does make recommendations but staff is controlled by the board. Youre wasting your time trying to talk to the principle. You need to be at board meetings. They are public. Get yourself on the agenda.

JSCATTLE":iluwdx7d said:
So you find it odd that he wants a tenured teacher that upholds rules over a teacher still waiting to take final exams ?? Why do people think governing body's are all knowing and correct no matter what ?
No, I find it odd to be distorting facts and seems to imply revenge rather than concern for the truth.

There are places, that a nontenured teacher can be let go, and not even be given a reason. I wouldn't assume automatically that her faults went any further than CF stated. If Oklahoma is not that way, then there may be more to the story.

Latest posts