schedule 40 pvc hay rings

Help Support CattleToday:

starbaby":36hl5ssi said:
Yes. My "3 choice question" was posted in jest. We use heavy duty steel horse type hay rings for our Longhorns with much success.

runnig arrow what do these look like?

We use the Applegate Steel's "Tombstone" (Red) hay rings. U-shaped uprights with filler bar between upright "U" pieces. In 14 ga. steel. Have metal skirt and curved feet to keep off ground. These are heavy, about 200# or so. In our area price range between about $250 and $350. At times hard to find, since the commercial cattle people use those light weight, slant bar rings.

Go to Applegate Steel's website to see their products.

Caveat: There is no such thing as an "indestructable" hay ring. All will get damaged, fail, or get trashed over time. Bulls really like hay rings: nice interesting toy to play with, especially when hay inside gets low. Also calves will climb into a ring to get "the good stuff"...they usually jump out when they are through with lunch...

I think I might try to make one of these black ones. Polyethylene pipe joined at the ends with a sleeve for each ring. Maybe recycled plastic lumber for the uprights. Stainless steel hardware to put 'em together. I'll get back with costs before next feed season if I'm satisfied.