Scary Moment

Help Support CattleToday:

FarmGirl10

Reaction score
Had a bolt of lightning (assuming its a ricochet) come through my sliding glass door, cross the living room and exit through a power outlet. :shock: Passed within two feet of me, feeling very lucky right now.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm with chrisy, I'd have to change my knickers too!

As Alacowman said, check stuff out. In the last 9 years we've lost 1 TV, 2 telephones, 2 lights, 1 VCR and 1 computer. And the lightning never struck the house! Just outside of it.

When we hear a storm coming we go around the house and unplug everything we can unplug including the telephone. The TV, VCR and computer were lost one day while we were at work and there was NO chance of bad weather in the forecast. Since that day whenever we leave the house, everything gets unplugged regardless of weather forecasts.

The other items were lost at separate times each while we were home.
I can't imagine what it would be like if it actually struck the house!

Glad you are OK and you didn't get caught in the 'bolt'.

Katherine

I got really lucky and all the appliances are fine. I do beleive it scared the dog more than it did, hid behind me for a long time after that. :lol:

My house is on top of a hill. It has been slammed a few times. Well house has been hit too.

I put up a large flag pole and ran a heavy bare copper wire inside the pole all the way down deep into the ground. Its actually flown flags some but the main purpose was lightening arrestor functions. It has worked.

It is great you are okay FarmGal. That could have been terrible. Appliances can be replaced. Wiring in the house can be replaced. You're priceless.

Glad that you are okay and that you did not have damage immediately. But beware that some appliances could fail with in the next six months after the surge of electricity.

That is scarey and I'm glad to hear all is well with you.

I was yakking on the phone late yesterday afternoon with Pinz. He was sitting on his porch waiting out a heck of a thunderstorm in VA. Every once in awhile he would say "yall(sp?) hear that one"? I kept thinking why don't you get your sorry butt inside!

Thanks everybody. Although living on the top of a hill in Kansas I'm probably lucky that it hasn't happened sooner. I've always been taught to stay away from window during storms because my mom had actually got hit by a ricochet as a kid. Guess I just thought i was far enough away from it (turns out i was) but it was a little too close for comfort.

smileyphew3.gif
You were almost sizzled!!

I remember my close encounter,, was opening a gate and the hair on my arms raised up and it was just like when you flip on a light switch, and the bulb blows..... blink :shock: .... never more if i can help it

ALACOWMAN":qwbqdzso said:
I remember my close encounter,, was opening a gate and the hair on my arms raised up and it was just like when you flip on a light switch, and the bulb blows..... blink :shock: .... never more if i can help it

I had exactly the same experience on top of a mountain when I visited a breeder in the Eastern Cape.

My grandad, in 1936, was driving a team of mules down the road when a bolt killed one of the team.
It should be said that no one in this family has ever risked lightning since.
That's extra scarey, farmgirl. Glad you are OK.

Did it make a sound? What color was it? Did it break the glass? I would of broke wind. You think it made your power meter spin the other way(maybe a credit to your total kw usage)?
Maybe it was a ghost :D

lynnmcmahan":22urogsq said:
Did it make a sound? What color was it? Did it break the glass? I would of broke wind. You think it made your power meter spin the other way(maybe a credit to your total kw usage)?
Maybe it was a ghost :D
Well at this point the house was already shaking and the thunder was pretty much constant. When it entered the house i dont think it made any extra noise. The glass in the door didn't break, and by the time i realized what was happening the electrical current was blue. The same color as the sparks u get when u pull the plug on something thats running. It pretty much lit the whole house up.

It sure would be nice if it gave a credit to my electric bill, those have been getting outrageous.

yeah you start seeing the blue in the room lighting has struck.our house was hit by lighting shortly after it was built.i bet your carpet was burnt.glad that your ok.

Latest posts