Scary day in the chute!

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1":2zf8pz14 said:
cross_7":2zf8pz14 said:
Thats a bad deal, hope your bull is alright

ditto

He's a bit better today. Stiff and sore, with knee and fetlock a bit swollen. But still getting Banamine. I let him out for exercise and he's pushing the younger bull around, so he's not dying!

Our trimmer has a tilt table that is a solid wall. When the animal walks in, there are two belts that tighten up and provide a light lift (rear and fore flank), then the table tilts. He then wraps a chain with protective padding around the legs, each individually, so the animal can not struggle and hurt themselves. He does a fantastic job, and works with each animal's personality to keep them calm.
Glad to hear your bull is better. Scary moments there!

Good job on getting him out without too much damage, the strain and bruises will hopefully heal quickly. I am sure his cooperation helped tremendously! Good luck!

highgrit":3i99tc48 said:
Around here we ship cows with bad feet. Bad feet in cattle can and will be passed down the line.

Around here all yearling show heifers get a trim before the season starts. If I have a cow that looks a little long, I throw her on the table too. I have yet to see any of my cows that have been trimmed in the past pass on bad feet to heifers we retained in the herd later, but I am sure it can happen. Our cattle are not trimmed because they have bad feet. It is purely cosmetic. We did have one season, dry two years ago, where we walked them through a dry rocky creek bed to get to a hay pasture we normally do not graze, and many ended up with abscesses and bruised feet, but that is because our cattle walk on deep soft grass all year long, so I am sure their feet are soft also.

highgrit":1r339mng said:
Around here we ship cows with bad feet. Bad feet in cattle can and will be passed down the line.

No bad feet here! Our lush pastures just make um grow. He is consigned to a sale that will sift them if they aren't perfect. He was just getting them smoothed out a bit.

branguscowgirl":3dck1j6u said:
highgrit":3dck1j6u said:

No bad feet here! Our lush pastures just make um grow. He is consigned to a sale that will sift them if they aren't perfect. He was just getting them smoothed out a bit.

How is he today ?

Kathie all the hoof trimmers/vets around her have chains they immediately loop around each foot just above the hoof to keep them from moving at all.

TexasBred":15hce0vn said:
Kathie all the hoof trimmers/vets around her have chains they immediately loop around each foot just above the hoof to keep them from moving at all.

That is the routine here also. It went south as we were just starting to turn him. It is hard to explain. If I had not been so worried, I would have snapped some pictures to show you the whole predicament. I have had lots of feet done, and I can not even explain clearly how this happened. Just a strange accident.
Thank you all for your good wishes! He IS DOING MUCH BETTER! We will have to see come sale time.......

branguscowgirl":26n64e7w said:
TexasBred":26n64e7w said:

That is the routine here also. It went south as we were just starting to turn him. It is hard to explain. If I had not been so worried, I would have snapped some pictures to show you the whole predicament. I have had lots of feet done, and I can not even explain clearly how this happened. Just a strange accident.
Thank you all for your good wishes! He IS DOING MUCH BETTER! We will have to see come sale time.......
I understand. I'm still trying to figure out how a 1500 lb. holstein cow ended up in the pit in the milking parlor one day. Thought we were going to have to dismantle the barn to get her out, yet she got in so quickly and easily.

TexasBred":3q0at8ay said:
branguscowgirl":3q0at8ay said:
TexasBred":3q0at8ay said:

I understand. I'm still trying to figure out how a 1500 lb. holstein cow ended up in the pit in the milking parlor one day. Thought we were going to have to dismantle the barn to get her out, yet she got in so quickly and easily.

How DID you get her out!? :???:

branguscowgirl":auq6k05c said:

Painted her lips red, dressed her up nice and hung a purse on her arm and told her to go shopping. She stood up and prissed out on her back legs wearing a big smile. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Actually we had to get a cutting torch, cut out a few pipes, put a small ramp over the steps and she walked up it.

TexasBred":249csay1 said:
branguscowgirl":249csay1 said:

Painted her lips red, dressed her up nice and hung a purse on her arm and told her to go shopping. She stood up and prissed out on her back legs wearing a big smile. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Actually we had to get a cutting torch, cut out a few pipes, put a small ramp over the steps and she walked up it.

I was once told that cattle can not walk up steps, but tell that to the thousands that have to walk up over 50 steps from the wash rack to the stalls and arena at MO state fair!!! They can do it, just like a dog!

branguscowgirl":1vgo3lup said:
TexasBred":1vgo3lup said:

This is all new to me -- we haven't yet had to deal with a hoof issue. I can see chains!

Latest posts