Scared

Help Support CattleToday:

Campground Cattle

Reaction score
This evening right at dark I was in the pasture ckecking a cow that was due. Heard the most God awful sound, now I'm a big boy and haven't run into anything in the woods that scared me yet. This sound made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Now I am wishing I was armed. About this time an emu came running out of the woods. Tomorrow I am going to find out what emu taste like.

Since the bubble burst on the Emu scam, a lot of people here in East Texas just opened the gate and let their birds go. They weren't worth the cost of their feed, there is no market for them and the owner's didn't have the heart to shoot them. There may be quite a few of them roaming around out there in the piney woods.

Campground Cattle":2qgavw16 said:
This evening right at dark I was in the pasture ckecking a cow that was due. Heard the most God awful sound, now I'm a big boy and haven't run into anything in the woods that scared me yet. This sound made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Now I am wishing I was armed. About this time an emu came running out of the woods. Tomorrow I am going to find out what emu taste like.

LOL! I've eaten Emu and Ostrich--when there were free BBQ events promoting these large chickens while the rich got richer and before the others went bankrupt on the craze.

They have dark meat, little fat, tastes something like Venison or Antelope. Marinate it and don't overcook it (just well done).

Biggest problem is de-feathering one of them before you cook it...lol. They have small brains (like turkeys)...a 30.06 works well but don't aim for the head--it's WAY too small to hit...lol.

cherokeeruby":2a35hiof said:
Was not logged in when I replied. Husband said he saw one also.

Anonymous":2a35hiof said:
No other people around here have. We also have bobcat and they say this is bigger.

WORANCH":2a35hiof said:
have you ever seen one?? :?: :?:

i thought i had also seen one but.. i talked to the game warden he asked me this ... have you ever seen a deer hit on the road or a bobcat .bear ... i said yes .. out west where they have a season on cougars they get hit by cars ... think about it :roll:

Last year my Dad ( 80 years young ) was turkey hunting and had a EMU come by him. He saw it coming through the woods and thought it was a huge gobbler until it kept getting bigger & bigger. Came within about 10 yards of him, I asked why he didn't shoot it. He told me he didn't think his gun ( 12 ga. ) was big enough. Ha. He ended up getting a 19# gobbler with a 10" beard, 1 1/4" spurs later.

;-)

I have grew up hunting East Texas woods, I have heard a lot of scared hunters claim they have seen everything from grizzly bears to siberian tigers. Haven't run into anything that a 12 ga and a load of double 00 won't take care of. I hunt the most pristene land left in East Texas 13000 acres of untouched forest between the angelina and neches river. You name its back in those swamps and sloughs. Not calling anyone a fibber but no one ever shoots or gets a picture of one theses cats. I think they are like UFO'S and wolves people see. There hasn't been either in East Texas for years. Not saying there can't be a cat out there, but I would think I would have at least seen a track. You walk out my front door and ther is nothing but woods for fifty miles the same out the back.

if you catch it don't let it kick you, those toes will rip you wide open, just shoot it and cook it

Good point, have not seen a photo of one. But there is some kind of big cat bigger than a bobcat roaming around. Have seen large track with no claws. If I ever see another track will take a photo if I can.
I did say I have never seen one.

Campground Cattle":2x3csddo said:
I have grew up hunting East Texas woods, I have heard a lot of scared hunters claim they have seen everything from grizzly bears to siberian tigers. Haven't run into anything that a 12 ga and a load of double 00 won't take care of. I hunt the most pristene land left in East Texas 13000 acres of untouched forest between the angelina and neches river. You name its back in those swamps and sloughs. Not calling anyone a fibber but no one ever shoots or gets a picture of one theses cats. I think they are like UFO'S and wolves people see. There hasn't been either in East Texas for years. Not saying there can't be a cat out there, but I would think I would have at least seen a track. You walk out my front door and ther is nothing but woods for fifty miles the same out the back.

cherokeeruby":3cbpn0q1 said:
Good point, have not seen a photo of one. But there is some kind of big cat bigger than a bobcat roaming around. Have seen large track with no claws. If I ever see another track will take a photo if I can.
I did say I have never seen one.

Back in the late 70's I was told that I was either dreaming or lying when I ran over a big cat on I-35 in NW Missouri, just south of Eagleville. And I do have to admit that there was no blood, no tracks, no trace of anything. 6 months later the decomposed carcass of a mountain lion was found less than a mile from where I had hit it.

Nebraska Game and Parks Commission officially claims that there are no mountain lions in Nebraska -- but I don't see how they can say that. One was shot not 10 miles from here about 4 years ago outside of Denton, it was stalking a farmer. Law enforcement actually considered bringing charges against the farmer for killing an "endangered species" -- it was in all the papers, right down to Game & Parks verifying that the animal was definitely a mountain lion.
Another one was tranquilized and captured in Omaha just last summer, they're building a special habitat for it at the zoo. And I know of 2 that were killed on roads in Lancaster county in the past couple of years (buddy works on the crew that removes road kill).

There are more big cats around than what people think.

Ann B

The State of Arkansas says there are no "wild, native" lions. The ones that are seen, shot, found dead, etc. are "pets" that have escaped or been released when the owners couldn't care for them anymore.

I know I found a small buck when I was just a teenager that had been killed, partly eaten and then mostly covered up. Just the head and part of the shoulders showing. Dad said it was a cougar kill.???

;-)

Ellie May":p72cdc2n said:
they are the smartest in the bird family.
Ellie May

if they're the smartest in the bird family, that's not saying much for the rest of the birds (also, it's not true). an emu being hauled in a trailer got it's head caught between the middle swing gate and the side of the trailer. he had slid his head down from the top but wasn't smart enough to slide it back up. instead he kept backing up until he pulled his head off. not my bird (never had any) but true story.

D.R. Cattle":13nm9go2 said:
Our Osceola turkeys are a lot smarter than that.

I agree with that the state released some on my land a few years back, trying to get enough to open a season. We now have a spring season. Those little turkeys can run at 100 fly at 200 and if they hear a feather hit the ground, Scotty beams them up.

Well I'll tell yeah they are a whole lot smarter then any of the birds I've ever seen. Like ducks tell me you have never seen a duck froze in a pond because they were too stupid to get out or birds like cardinals migrate and eat so much then it get's cold again & they are too fat to fly so they have to walk back down south. Well I could go on but don't wanna. Not saying emus are smart, because most birds are pretty dumb. They do have purposes & I must admit their best purpose is for eaten & even then they don't top as well as beef or lamb.
Ellie May

Latest posts