Scanning Old Pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

CKC1586

Reaction score
Any tips? I have some pictures I found of my Grandpa's farm probably from the 20's or before, there is a Holstein bull that he is holding with a lead that looks like a big version of a dog catchers pole. Neat pictures but I can't seem to get them to scan well and when I finally got some downloaded on my computer tried to go to Ranchers and upload but guess they are not in the right "format". If I try to rotate them, they blur badly. Did get them to post on FaceBook.... Anyway, wonderin if anyone had suggestions, I am thinking I need to take them in somewhere that knows what they are doing and can handle antique pictures...

Set the scan quality to the finest you can get and save the pictures as jpg. You may need a stipple mask for the pictures to get them to be sharp but I haven;t seen one or used one in many years.

Another method is to take a good digital camera and set it on close up and snap pictures of them. Photographers have light tables for this but if you monkey with the light or even do it outdoors you can do a pretty decent job of it. Main thing is you don't want your flash going off.

dun":13ozdr4i said:
Set the scan quality to the finest you can get and save the pictures as jpg. You may need a stipple mask for the pictures to get them to be sharp but I haven;t seen one or used one in many years.
Ah ha! Will try that...

"The file you uploaded was not an acceptable format.: IMG.tif" That is the error that Ranchers gives me and I have not figured out yet how to make it a .jpg??? I scanned it again and tried to "force" it but.... :x

CKC1586":ed3tmmjx said:
"The file you uploaded was not an acceptable format.: IMG.tif" That is the error that Ranchers gives me and I have not figured out yet how to make it a .jpg??? I scanned it again and tried to "force" it but.... :x
If saving it as jpg isn;t an option and it automatically saves it as tif you should be able to open it with any of the picture handling types of software, one is included I think with windows, and save it as jpg or gif

You can take it in to a photo place and have it done as well. My sister did photo albums up for all of us a few year ago and got them all copied some were 70 years old and they all turned out great, some even better than the original.

What Jo suggested works as well but you need a really good camera.

CKC1586":18w6lg2p said:
See if you can open it in Microsoft Paint. If it does, then you can save it as a JPEG

Right click on the file name and choose "open with". You should have an option to open in Microsoft Paint.

Also, you probably have settings to choose from in your scanner utility program. Such as document, photos, fax... maybe they can be changed.

Thank you everyone, gonna try some of these suggestions after chores are done this morning.... That "pole" or whatever it is that Grandpa is handling that bull with is something I have never seen before...has a chain on it. Great big ol Holstein bull...

If you would like to send me the .tif image i would be more than happy to convert for you to a .jpg and send it back.

I used to really get into image prep, grafics, video and photo editing. one of the easiest programs ive every seen is called easy photo, and you can do almost any of the basic things you would want for .ext conversions.

Let me know if i can help?

Beckett

CKC1586":2uioc642 said:
Thank you everyone, gonna try some of these suggestions after chores are done this morning.... That "pole" or whatever it is that Grandpa is handling that bull with is something I have never seen before...has a chain on it. Great big ol Holstein bull...

Big he was HUGE..and to see him on a lead was something else. Your grandpa was a brave man. ;-)

hillsdown":1wvi1j73 said:
CKC1586":1wvi1j73 said:

Big he was HUGE..and to see him on a lead was something else. Your grandpa was a brave man. ;-)
Have you ever seen a lead "pipe" like that???? My brother has the tool that Grandpa used to ring the bulls, and we still use it to this day. It had belonged to his Dad so that thing is ancient but works beautifully.
Mom was born in 1917 and I was looking at those pictures and she was a toddler in most of that batch so that has to put the picture in the early 20s. He was one of the first in the area to have registered Herefords when he sold his dairy cows. This was all long before I came about..... I wish I could find some pictures of his Herefords. He gave my brother a heifer for his 13th birthday....

Hey,

Looking for tips for scanning old photos, Any one would have any suggestion about it?

Latest posts