Scales?

Help Support CattleToday:

Air gator

Reaction score
Any thoughts/experience with the scales on Ebay and/or Amazon for weighing yearlings/adult cattle?
Some of them are just the bars and you have to put it together. Just wondering how reliable they are and
what kind of setup people use. Thanks in advance.

I have an A&A set. $400ish i think. 3years now. Works great. Had to replace one wire because it got chewed on by a calf. Very pleased for the money. Built an 8ft by 28" platform out of 1 inch square stock and diamond plate. Keep platform in barn when not in use and keep the display(brains) in the house.

Just installed a set of a&a scales this year. So far it's worked great. Saying that, I feel a good calibration is a must. Don't just put it in and use your own weight to cal it. Put 1k# or so bags of salt, feed, or whatever to cal it. I mounted my priefert head gate and welded up some removal rails all on a sheet of 1/2" or 3/4" x 4' x 8' steel plate.
208zio9.jpg

jwimberly":nybluwoq said:
Just installed a set of a&a scales this year. So far it's worked great. Saying that, I feel a good calibration is a must. Don't just put it in and use your own weight to cal it. Put 1k# or so bags of salt, feed, or whatever to cal it. I mounted my priefert head gate and welded up some removal rails all on a sheet of 1/2" or 3/4" x 4' x 8' steel plate.
208zio9.jpg

Great point. I use a 45# Olympic weight plate.

I bought a set early this year and build a platform as well. I love mine. I weighed all my calves this year and most of my cows. Works good