Scales...want to buy, need advise.

Help Support CattleToday:

BARNSCOOP

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a set of cattle scales. Ebay currently has several different ones for sale. I can tell who is sell a couple of them. One is a company called A & A scales...model # LB 36-4H heavy duty and a company called B&B Scales a model TI-500 BWL. They all run electric but some also run on AA batteries or recharable batteries. I am looking to put a set under my Priefert . I will need an source for power other than electricity. Any advise?

5,000lb EZ Bar Load Bars (2) Price: $825.00

FREE SHIPPING!

Industrial load bar system withstands all the elements. Perfectly suited for industrial applications as well as outdoor animal weighing for independent platforms or squeeze chutes. These are weatherproof. Weighs in lbs and kgs.

Water-tight disconnector on the indicator.

Quick & easy set up
Simple to use
Well suited to livestock weighing
NTEP approved load cells and digital indicator
5,000 lb capacity in 1 lb increments
Fully portable
Operates on 110 VAC or built in rechargeable lead acid battery
Battery operation up to 20 hours on a single charge
Most economical high-capacity weighing system
http://www.onedigitalscales.com/scales. ... Bars2/?679

BARNSCOOP":1iy2x2un said:
I am looking to buy a set of cattle scales. Ebay currently has several different ones for sale. I can tell who is sell a couple of them. One is a company called A & A scales...model # LB 36-4H heavy duty and a company called B&B Scales a model TI-500 BWL. They all run electric but some also run on AA batteries or recharable batteries. I am looking to put a set under my Priefert . I will need an source for power other than electricity. Any advise?
www.ccscales.com

Seen a ad in Farmer's Exchange for a Gallagher with the load bars, indicator and a aluminum platform for $1700. Don't know if those bars are heavy enough to be under a chute though.

If I remember - which is a big 'IF' - you're a small-scale operator like me. Any chance your local cattle group or co-op can do the weighing you'll need? Some organizations own scales that farmers can borrow or rent. Since I'm not handy, the fewer things I have to own (and repair) the better!

Farmwriter,

You are correct, I am a small operator. I only have 17 head of cattle. Your right on ....our Ag Extension has a scale you can borrow but it is shared by many and I would need to run the stock over a platform and try to get the weight because I don't think I could slip those bars under my squeeze. I wanted to try to find some economical scales to purchase so I wouldn't have to stand in line to use the extensions and I need to buy some equiptment this year to off set the profit I have made.

Thanks,

It is that very Ag. Extension who has made it possible in two shorts years. We have been involved in every program we could qualify for through the TN. Ag. Enhancement Programs. They have changed the head of cattle you have to own to be involved this year so we have exhausted that program. Boy has it been helpful!! We are thankful and Blessed!

Rather than mounting the scale under the chute - which is heavy and has lots of side loads - you can mount a scale with standard aluminum platform in the allet leading up to most chute. This is then a standard item - most are 7 ft long by about 2 ft wide.

I would recommend buying a tru-test. Buy a good scale and lower cost indicator, unless you are a very large operation. Livestock can put a lot of sideloads on a scale which many are not designed for. Many are not really water/manure proof. You can sometimes buy the demo unit at a farm show. They don't like to carry them home. Spend money on the load bars, not the indicator. jmho. Jim

Latest posts