Scales under squeeze chute

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
A recent thread about scales got me to thinking about how to mount my own set once I have purchased them (hopefully this summer). Those of you that have mounted them under your squeeze chute.......can you post pics of how you situated it or detailed descriptions? I plan on pouring a concrete pad and building a cover / roof over the chute and part of the alley. I am most interested in how the load bars are positioned and if there is any other support under the chute other than the load bars.

Thanks

I have some Tru-Test scales under a ww chute. The load bars did not fit this chute however they would have fit a powder river chute percectly. As I understand it, Powder river designs their chute for quick attachment. To remedy this I simply bolted a piece of 4" flat iron on top of the load bars to extend it to the width needed. I then bolted the flatiron to the chute. Works good. BTW - you need some help when you do this.

Jogeephus":1r6m2wqi said:
I have some Tru-Test scales under a ww chute. The load bars did not fit this chute however they would have fit a powder river chute percectly. As I understand it, Powder river designs their chute for quick attachment. To remedy this I simply bolted a piece of 4" flat iron on top of the load bars to extend it to the width needed. I then bolted the flatiron to the chute. Works good. BTW - you need some help when you do this.

Jo, have you had any problems with the squeeze chute flexing in the middle between the load bars? I currently have a Behlen medium duty squeeze chute. I have it sitting up on 6x6 blocks that are 38" long. The chute platform is 39" wide. Whenever a cow goes in the squeeze the center of the chute between the two raised points will flex down an inch or two. How should I install the load bars.....toward the front and back like the current wood blocks or a 1/3 of the way from each end?

I mounted my bars about a foot from each end of the main frame part of the chute. I don't know if I read this in the directions or if I just did it this way. Probably the latter. I haven't noticed if mine flexes or not but don't really see where it would matter being all the weight is still on the load bars.

My biggest problem was securing the load bars to the concrete as I had used wire reinforcement in the concrete. You really need to fix the bars as solid as possible to the concrete.

I also had a slight prolem fixing the chute to the plate. My intent was to weld it in place but I read in the directions that this could fry the load bars so I had to jury rig some bolt on braces to the chute and plate.

Barring these two little problems and the shear weight of the chute, they are no real probem to install and mine has been trouble free for going on 8 years and they are painfully accurate.

Latest posts