Scale in Alley and small operation handling facility (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
In the thread about scales below there was a question on how I fit my Trutest platform scale in my alley. I was in the corral pasture checking for new calves (first one of the year hit the ground this beautiful afternoon!) and thought I would take a couple better pictures of the handling facility I built over the last 4 years or so.

As a beginner I was really at a loss to find plans for a setup that would work for a smaller operation. I would eventually build this from old telephone poles, some guard rail and Formost tub, short alley chute and auto headgate. I built the loading ramp when it became obvious I really needed one. I can sort 4 ways out of the chute. This setup makes weighing, working or loading them by myself quick and safe. The vet can work quickly when he comes for his regular twice a year visits. Keeps his time and bills down and he doesn't have a rodeo when he comes out.

The Trutest scale platform is under the rubber mat (cut from an old pickup truck bed mat) in the alley. The scale head/indicator slips on the blue bracket but is not in these pictures. Under the guard rail is 20 ft (not enough) fenceline bunk which is the only place my cattle get a sweet feed treat once a week or so. This way they come in when I bang on the white bucket. I close the gate and then they can be gradually sorted to the tub and easily worked alone.

Sometimes after a grain treat I leave the gates closed and the tub, alley and auto head gate locked open so they learn that is a way out and file through calmly. This whole system seems to work, at least with my Herefords.

Maybe the ideas would be of help to other beginners.

Here are some pictures:

IMG_0273_Overviewsmalloperationhandlingfacility_032712.jpg

IMG_0274_Overviewsmalloperationhandlingfacility_032712.jpg

IMG_0270_PlatformScaleinAlley_032712.jpg

IMG_0272_PlatformScaleinAlley_032712.jpg

IMG_0269_PlatformScaleinAlley_032712.jpg

IMG_0267_PlatformScaleinAlley_032712.jpg

I did most of the work myself other than the Formost parts the concrete bunks and the breaker/gravel/screenings bought in to level the site. Formost out of Iowa makes some fairly simple, lower cost equipment for a smaller operation.

After trying to work and load without any facility, I quickly realized the cost of building a handling facility would probably be a lot less than the doctor bills sure to result from trying to handle 1000 - 2000+ lb cattle as I was doing it....

Facility costs can be amortized over a period of years and I would strongly urge anyone starting with cattle to build SOME sort of handling facility if you dont have something already. fwiw.

Jim

Stocker Steve":3gmu4jii said:
How do you fasten plywood to the red gates?

Steve, that was just an idea. Menards had some scrap/damaged 1/4" plywood 4x8 sheets I bought for almost nothing. Used some old cream color house paint on one side to make it brighter and more "soothing" on the cow side.

Started trying to clamp the sheets to the gates but that didn't work worth a dang. Finally just took a battery drill with a 1/4" bit and some 14 gage steel electric fence wire, Drilled holes in the plywood top and bottom of a couple gate tubes, ran wire thru the holes, around the gate tube and twisted it. Held up like that about 4 years now... Did this about 6 places per 4x8 sheet and it does the job.

As cobbled as these sheets are they do the job of keeping them calmer when in the corral and working. Controlling sight lines is the key. Thanks to Dr Temple Grandin for the idea of sheeted.

I am a believer that keeping the adrenalin down especially when loading for the processor gives you better beef....

Jim

Latest posts