Scale im considering

Help Support CattleToday:

M5farm":1bg96coo said:

That would work I mostly sell calves so 1000 max is fine for my application but anyone selling cows needs to alter it so that they can get on there completely. That last one that i posted has the 4 sensors and you build your own platform I like that cause I can get some steel or 3/4 treated plywood and bolt those weight sensors on 4 corners and make it exactly the size i want for the chute area. I mostly sell calves so 1000 weight max is good for me.

skyhightree1":1im4a6e9 said:
M5farm":1im4a6e9 said:

That would work I mostly sell calves so 1000 max is fine for my application but anyone selling cows needs to alter it so that they can get on there completely. That last one that i posted has the 4 sensors and you build your own platform I like that cause I can get some steel or 3/4 treated plywood and bolt those weight sensors on 4 corners and make it exactly the size i want for the chute area. I mostly sell calves so 1000 weight max is good for me.

the one posted here Is a 5k scale the 10k scale is less than a 40 bucks more

thats crazy you may as well buy the 10k it would be nice if the 10k scale was a 48x96 like it was made to weigh 2 pallets

skyhightree1":p13blcwo said:
thats crazy you may as well buy the 10k it would be nice if the 10k scale was a 48x96 like it was made to weigh 2 pallets

Look at the Richmond Craigslist (farm &garden) for the little pen for sale.

fitz":2tm42xd4 said:
Yeah. But you could take some 5' gates and make something cheaper.

That would be nice to use on top of a scale like putting a group of calves in there to get there weight. Yea you could do that with gates as well.

got it

IMG_20150416_220855_436_zps0fe60222.jpg

J. Alfonso is A&A scales. Hes helpful, and worth talking to to discuss options. That said, my scale from them isnt working, but havent had time to deal with it yet.

Just got my amston scales in yesterday that hook recommended. It weighed the wife, kids and I accurately. (wife wouldn't let me see though) Going to try and get it set up this evening under the chute. No complaints this far..

I've been watching your posts. Looking forward to seeing your final product. I was going to put a couple of bulls in the summer test but decided to use that money towards a set of scales. I was told that the Fullblood Gelbviehs in Southern Indiana don't stir much interest in the auction after the test so I decided to put that money to the scales.

You guys that are considering pallet scales remember they are made to weigh a stationary object. Some of the indicators will not lock on to the weight of a steer jumping around in a alley pen. Most of the scale retailers have an indicator with the software in it to lock on but you might want to discuss it with the retailer first.

skyhightree1":wsdkev2t said:
Have you used these yet? I have been thinking about buying that exact set up and putting it under my squeeze. If you have how do you like them? TIA

WarEagle73":31rz0t65 said:
skyhightree1":31rz0t65 said:
Have you used these yet? I have been thinking about buying that exact set up and putting it under my squeeze. If you have how do you like them? TIA

Its not in cattle usage but I have weighed feeds on it and it does well has a feature for moving animals in order to weigh them. I am not sticking mine under a chute but before a headgate where I work calves. I like it a lot but mine won't see any usage till I complete the calf corral im building and I can let you know how it does then.

Im anxious to see what kind of platform you come up with. Thanks again for the info

bball":1rkf98ze said:
Im anxious to see what kind of platform you come up with. Thanks again for the info

plan is to put down a concrete slab in front of the headgate and put the scale on it. I will use a piece of aluminum or steel for the platform.

highgrit":osj7f8ay said:
In Ga we call this putting the horse before the cart.

i'm not even sure we do this kind of riggin' job here in ky :lol2:

I bought the 10k amston scales. They came in 4 inch channel iron. I cut about 2 inches off the channel and mounted them under my preifert squeeze chute. The chute had angle iron that hung down in the front and back and I put a bolt sideways through the chute and channel iron. I buried the big 2'x2' solid blocks under the chute in each corner. The dirt I took out from under the chute, I used in the alley and in front of the chute to make a ramp. Chained the chute at the bottom where the chain stays parallel (-) and then loose at top. Got everything level and weighed myself and it was real accurate. Worked my heifers and weighed them, seemed to work real well. Working cows tomorrow if rain doesn't keep us from it.