Say Hi to Odis

Help Support CattleToday:

ourhouse51

Reaction score
Sent the husband to the sale barn the last week to get me a heifer calf...he came home with this 90# bull calf...a bottle baby....
The 4 year old grandson named him Odis after the bull on the movie "barnyard".
I am not really even sure what breed he is...he looks red/brown here but he is really black and white now. (that was the required color from the grandson...he wanted a black and white polka dotted cow)

IM000607.jpg

He is great. First day jitters, wasn't sure about the bottle but he now meets us at the gate. He takes 3 bottles a day. I have some grain out too but so far, no interest. He does like grazing in the lot and eating his hay bed though.
My 16 year old daughter likes feeding him. She calls it her "bonding time"
She can remember bottle feeding for my dad. :heart: He always had babies he would get from the dairy and raise.

We are actually in the market for a couple of friends for him right now. But until then, he bonds with the dog. They lay side by side with a fence between them. It's pretty funny, the dog is about as big as the calf.

ourhouse51":3stz49x3 said:
I have some grain out too but so far, no interest.

just a little pointer. hand feed him some of that grain. he will take interest.

such a cutie. i think he needs and odie too. ;-)

ourhouse51":1c5a4nhu said:
Sent the husband to the sale barn the last week to get me a heifer calf...he came home with this 90# bull calf...a bottle baby....

[/img]

Does husband always take direction that well? :lol:

G'day eh Odis!

Have fun and feed him for taste! :lol:

Is that his pen? Maybe just the picture, but the space between the rails looks a little large to me.

Always look for somewhere a calf can get his head stuck cause sure as heck they will get caught there and you might lose him ( like under that bottom rail ?? ).

Like Randilianna said, nut him - I band a couple days after birth others weight a bit, but put that on your list. Any required vacs in your area?

Good Luck with him and have fun !

ALX

He looks good. His pen looks nice and I wouldnt worry about anything.

You might try putting a little milk replacer on the grain- usually makes them take off with it.

Good luck- keep us updated.

Latest posts