Saw something new...

Help Support CattleToday:

Sickpen isn't very big...about 24x24. Nope, cows aren't bred in there. Manger has headlocks, but a lot of the AI takes place in the freestalls. The cows feel safe enough in there that they don't move. Same goes with preg checking. As far as heats go, herd manager uses an Ovsynch/Cosynch combination. He doesn't do the AI...techs come in every morning and will walk the pens looking for rubs, etc. plus check the parlor chart or vet room chart for standing heats. How about there? Herd manager do all the AI? Does he/she have an assistant?

Feet trimming and general doctoring are done in a work area adjacent to the holding pen. Vet room is on the opposite side, which is nice for grabbing meds, etc. There's two chutes, one of which is a hydraulic controlled table for trims.

I know first hand about not being able to reach the boss and/or herd manager. This has made me learn to do the vast majority of things alone. I have laughingly referred to myself as the mechanic and vet. ;-)

I used dip cups in a flat barn, and didn't like them because of the mess. Spray hoses work real well...if you position them directly under the udder you can actually get some good coverage.

There's 4 cows on Oxytocin currently. Used to be a lot more but the cows that were on it were having a tough time settling. So it takes quite a bit for an oxy band to go on. Mind me asking if your boss uses rBST?

Yep, there's a full length gutter...and a drain at the end. Also there's a bigger drain at the front of the deck. Parlor is never scraped...and is completely washed down with fresh water from the firehoses. Holding pen and coridoor use "recycled" water.

We also do pregnancy checks in the freestalls. The sorting gate just makes it easier to put the ones in heat in the pen. Actually, cows we don't notice will often hang around the sick pen if they too are in heat. One of the brothers who owns the farm (herd manager I suppose) does the AI for all of the cows at the milk barn except for every other weekend and there is another employee who takes care of the new heifers. He also does the cows the weekends the herd manager is off. Actually, I think I'll be taking the day-long course on AI next week so then I may start breeding :).

Not sure what rBST is..actually I'm only familiar with a few drugs etc.. that are used on the farm. We use Estrumate every week (usually for 12-16 bigger producers) to help them cycle and Cystorelin sometimes. Also, Excenel is a common one at the milk barn plus Aspirin.

Does your farm grow corn/hay etc..? If so is the land all together or is some of it farther away?

rBst has had a lot of controversy surrounding it. It's a hormone that makes the cows produce better, but what I've seen of it isn't impressive. While they may milk more, the overall health of them declines since they are being pushed so hard. You'd maybe recognize the name "Posilac"? Herd I milk does not get it...thank goodness. This is a big reason why I stay working there.

I've talked to my boss about learning AI, but for now it's a 'no'. Says I'd have to do too many to stay good at it. Eventually I'd like to learn how to operate on DA's and perform ultrasounds as well.

Drugs...a hot case of mastitis will get treated with Pirsue and Banamine. Those are the only two that I am free to give on a common basis. Also it's my call on what to treat a downed cow with IF she goes on my shift. Then, depending on the symptoms, I'll IV with Dextrose and or/Cal-Dex, B complex and LA 200. Also commonly give Naxcel or Polyflex. I'm scratchy at IV's yet...haven't did enough to become really good at it. Now and then the herd manager will call me in during the day if he has a whole string to do...allowing me to get some much needed practice.

How many hours do you normally get in a pay period? Paid every 15 days, or is that just US dairies? ;-)

I go in 1 1/2 hours early, at 7, and never, ever run out of things to do. It's more that I have to prioritize. Generally 13 days generates 104 minimum hours. I'm the exception, not the rule. The chap that works 6 days a week, just milking, gets about 81.

Oh, I know what you mean now but I'm not sure if they get it :S. I know a lot of things would be different as far as the treatment of the cows if I ran my own farm. I figure I could leave, but if I did that would be one less "kind" employee so the cows would lose.

Yeah, I guess it does take a lot of practice for AI. My boss usually gets around 50% and occasionally up near 70%. Learning how to operate for DA's would be really neat.

We also use Pirsue and Banamine as well as Dextrose and Cal-Dex. I'm sure there are many more but I haven't taken the soon-mandatory course on what drugs do and how much to give etc... Is there something similar in the US?

We get salary for the most part here and we get paid every couple weeks. Every two weeks I work about 72 hours. Other employees (there are 10 of us working ft and one pt not including the 2 brothers) work more hours though. Right now they're getting busier doing fieldwork so they put in long days.

Salary pay, huh? Is that typical for a "low-level milker?" Or are you a manager and I missed something? ;-) Herd manager and the chap who trims feet are on salary, the rest of us get paid hourly. Are you considering starting your own dairy, or have you thought about a manager position? How long have you been around dairy cattle? I've been offered a parlor manager position where I currently work...when they expand. Thing is now how long I'm willing to stick around for the potential expansion. I'm hoping that the herd manager will throw his two cents in there and swing me towards asst. herd manager or something to do more with the cows. :)

There is no mandatory course for giving drugs on dairies. Where I work most don't treat unless the herd manager gives them permission, and I'm the only one who has free access to the Banamine.

Thought I'd throw in this pic...an empty parlor, index bar raised.

cows014.jpg

Yeah, all 5 ft milkers get salary. It's not so bad because we don't have any ot or anything plus some go slower than others.

I think I'd rather have a smaller farm and be self-sustainable rather then getting into the more stressful aspects of dairy farming. But I'm not ruling out a manager position sometime in the future. I plan to take a two-year course from an an agricultural college and I may choose the one geared more towards dairy farming and management etc... I've only been around/working with dairy cattle for a year! I didn't think I would be so serious about it but after 6 months I thought I could see myself staying for a while longer. (I've been around horses almost all my life so I did have some experience with large animals.)

How big does the farm plan to expand? More cows or just a bigger parlour?

We actually have "access" to most drugs at the milk farm but not permission to give them. They have banamine in the fridge with the oxytocin (on the same shelf the other day but I separated them just in case :roll:). Usually the herd manager gives anything intravascular and does the drenching plus takes temperatures etc... Well, I'm sure they'd let me try some things too but I haven't asked because usually they do that sort of stuff while we're milking.

My turn next, eh born2run? 8) :p

Well alright. No pics...I do have them but our barn isn't near so fancy, so I'll just omit the pics. LOL. Sarah, I'm working in a double 6 herringbone, milking 86 right now (I believe). Been here for almost 26 months. I also run a small herd at home, almost entirely holstein heifers and nurse cows. Do you have any of your own?

I'm planning to study Dairy Science (perhaps w/a prevet emphasis) in college...sounds similar to what you're thinking of. When would you be headed to college?

Because of our problems with staph cows, we've been waiting (if possible) for culture results to come back on all new cases prior to treating. Streps and staph environmentals have been clearing up nicely for us with Pirsue or Amoximast, staph aureus cases aren't being treated. I'm not really sure if I have permission to treat at will or not - never asked. Only time I treat without asking is when boss is on vacation; then it's all up to me. Otherwise we'll consider the cow, her history, culture result, etc before treating.

Well there's a quick introduction, anyways. ;-)

Me...been around dairy cattle all my life accept for a brief 3 year lapse...1997-2000. I grew up on a dairy, and started milking in a flatbarn for my dad when I was 12. It was pretty low-key...50-80 cows generally. Milked there for 2 years until my dad sold the herd to my brother. He in turn sold out completely in 97. Went to work for a local dairy out of sheer desperation in 2000, at age 20. :) Was there for almost three years before leaving for my current job. Started there in July 2003, and during that time went to college for a Criminal Justice-Law Enforcement degree. Graduated May 2005, when my boss made me an appealing offer if I stayed on. So, here I am. :D I've had interview offers for manager at other dairies, but I'm sticking around to see if my boss expands. Deadline pretty well is this fall...failing that I'll move on to brighter and better things. ;-) Parlor would be expanded to a double 16 and herd to 1000 cows.

Overtime...I haven't worked a 40 hour week in months. 50 is very average...so 40 sounds lovely.

Milkmaid - I wish I had my own cows! If I don't work on a dairy farm in the future I will at least have a few home.

If I went to college it would be the year after next. For the dairy specific course you need at least some experience so hopefully 2 years will be enough to get in. When are you going?

born2run - Consider yourself lucky to have been around cattle your whole life. It's a shame I just realized how neat they really are. That's an interesting combination - Criminal Justice-Law Enforcement and dairy farming! Do you think you'd do that if you left your farm someday?

Oh...and I missed once chance to take the AI course because it was sunny today. Well, not raining anyway so everyone was out in the fields until midnight and nobody could replace me. Hopefully I'll be able to take it in the fall.

Nothing wrong with 7 teats as long as the milker you have hook her up knows what he's milking...lol...is she a good cow, or is she a cull?

No...I have no intention of using the CJ degree, ever. Plans and interests have a way of changing as you age I guess.

Vinny5036":171z13s6 said:
Nothing wrong with 7 teats as long as the milker you have hook her up knows what he's milking...lol...is she a good cow, or is she a cull?

Fresh heifer.

They're really obvious as to which ones you milk, but it's also obvious that she has several extras. LOL.

Sarah- I'll be leaving this fall. I'm selling most of my herd, but I will be keeping back a few of my own heifers.

Latest posts