Saw something in the sky today

Help Support CattleToday:

1982vett

Reaction score
If memory is correct and picture books are right............

They were clouds.......... :lol:

Ryder":1z8lhktt said:
1982vett":1z8lhktt said:

They were coulds.......... :lol:
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a
COULD?

I guess the old saying: "Use it or lose it"., is true. Its been so long since I've seen any clouds, I thought it was spelled right.

I saw them in Caldwell County Tx, but the outlook does not look good for rain, looks like we are in for a dry warm winter by all the long range weather reports I have seen. My stock tanks are already about 50% full. we have had rain throught out the year ,we would get a 4 inch rain and the creeks would not get out of the banks it all soaked into the ground it was so dry after 2 years of drought and it stopped Sept. and all ground moisture is already gone. I am glad I have not restocked to full capacity after having to sell out last year. I reduced my herd from 70 cows to 12 cows and 10 heifers on 400 acres and I have plenty of excess grass. The last 6 years of weather here has taken all the enjoyment out of raising cattle, with a business you need a working plan, but with drought manageing the business you can not plan.

Ryder":3m8muski said:
1982vett":3m8muski said:

They were coulds.......... :lol:
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a
COULD?
:lol2: Guess that is why they aren't working. Temperamental ole things. :?

cowboy43":2z2829qp said:
I saw them in Caldwell County Tx, but the outlook does not look good for rain, looks like we are in for a dry warm winter by all the long range weather reports I have seen. My stock tanks are already about 50% full. we have had rain throught out the year ,we would get a 4 inch rain and the creeks would not get out of the banks it all soaked into the ground it was so dry after 2 years of drought and it stopped Sept. and all ground moisture is already gone. I am glad I have not restocked to full capacity after having to sell out last year. I reduced my herd from 70 cows to 12 cows and 10 heifers on 400 acres and I have plenty of excess grass. The last 6 years of weather here has taken all the enjoyment out of raising cattle, with a business you need a working plan, but with drought manageing the business you can not plan.
You can say that again... Of all the dam muddy and bad weather days I had to work in for 26 years of getting a paycheck, at the rate it is going now I'll have to live another hundred years or more to see that many days again.

Pisser to have to make the bills with 30% fewer calves to sell. Looks like this year will be the first year I will have spent more out of savings to make the bill payments than I have put into savings.

We got bounced out of bed this morning at 1 with LOTS of thunder and lightning. It was all talk and very little rain! I hate when that happens. :x

1982vett":1solne2i said:
cowboy43":1solne2i said:
You can say that again... Of all the dam muddy and bad weather days I had to work in for 26 years of getting a paycheck, at the rate it is going now I'll have to live another hundred years or more to see that many days again.

be nice to have to make the bills with 30% fewer calves to sell. Looks like this year will be the first year I will have spent more out of savings to make the bill payments than I have put into savings.
At least that is a good testimonial to the value of savings.

At a meeting with the National Weather Service last week the long range forecast looks grim. We were getting the wildfire risk but it is the same for anyone depending on timely rains. Most of the south will be warm and dry this winter but also most of next year.

We have some rain now, I don't know how much or how long, but any thing is better than the nothing we've had.
I don't ever remember it being this dry.
I thought my woods were on fire yesterday evening, I had smoke all over my place and the wind was blowing hard. I was about to get worried thinking about my hay getting burned up. But it was a farmer burning a rice field off south of me about a mile away. I can't believe he was burning as dry and windy as it was.
We had a big ice storm here a year and half ago and all the woods around are giant brush piles and there wouldn't be any putting them out.

The smoke was just laying along the ground. Must have been a low pressure system or something for it to do that.

Latest posts