Saw a few interesting things this week

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
Had a fresh cow with an LDA (left displaced abomasum) that had surgery on Monday. We'd actually suspected she had a DA back on Friday, but could not reach Doc then. Ended up taking her to the clinic Monday evening, confided that we'd brought out the stethoscope and had no idea whether or not she had a DA, but that it was possible. :lol: Doc checked real quick and handed me the stethoscope, and that time I heard the characteristic "ping". Perhaps next time I can diagnose it myself - and be certain about my diagnosis. :p

As usual, abomasum flipped to let the gas out, sutured down to the bottom of the abdominal wall, and cow sewed back up. Stitches come out in two weeks, and I know the after-surgery regimine now. Pennicillin, Banamine, and Vitamin B complex plus an IV of dextrose just after surgery...since she'd been off feed for a few days.

Then yesterday a cow went and aborted for no apparent reason, 180 days, twin calves. The bull calf had been aborted earlier that morning but I found the heifer moments after she'd been dumped and got a chance to look everything over very closely. Perfect little holstein calf, around the size of a Jack Russel Terrier. No hair of course, but the pigment on the skin was all there and you could see where she was black and white. No visible abnormalities, not sure what a "normal" abortion looks like as this is a once-in-a-blue-moon occurance, but both twins were perfectly formed, no decomposure either. I found it all extremely fascinating - no pictures, sorry, wish I had some though.

And I made sure I washed my hands REALLY thoroughly after handling that calf. :shock:

Anyhow, interesting week. ;-)

They do. Vertical incision about a handspan long, all heals up pretty neatly in the end. I've been told there's a few other methods to fix DAs, but my vet is most comfortable and has the most success with this one.

Rolling can also be used to correct DA's. Only one I ever saw it done on died eventually, but the herd manager knew at best she was a gamble anyway.

My vet also mentioned "toggling" or something like that... slightly surgical procedure but not quite as invasive as the full surgery he usually does. Also lower success rate.

Only method of correcting DAs I've actually seen is the surgical type my vet did on this cow. Think it makes the third DA surgery I've watched. My KK cow would have made four, but I didn't see her operated on; just picked her up at the clinic after he'd finished.

That DA cow I mentioned is coming back up on milk and doing very well. She gave right around 40lbs this morning -- very good considering the circumstances. :)

"Interesting" not necessarily good!

Glad to hear your surgical cow is doing well, I've never had one myself, but I've heard they have a good chance of a full recovery. 'I'm sure she'll have every possible chance of a full recovery with you watching out for her!

I had a similar abortion experience about 6 months ago. Same scenario too.. twin calves, although mine were "born" together. But also perfectly formed. I've heard that twins being aborted before full term is not incredibly unusual, so I didn't have them posted. Of course, now I don't have a vet :( ...

It sounds like you've got a great vet that is reliable and informative, you are very lucky! I had that in Illinois, and sure miss it down here.

I've heard that twins being aborted before full term is not incredibly unusual, so I didn't have them posted.

:nod: It didn't bother me near so much when I realized the cow'd had TWINS. If it were one calf it would have bothered me a lot more, but twins...just seems like it wouldn't be quite so big a surprise for them to come early. Although that IS very early!

As a side note, I saw a dozen vultures circling yesterday, took a fast trip out to check, then back to boss to report what I'd found. His pastures run up by my place so I keep an eye on his cows when they're up my way. Anyways, there was another aborted calf. (12 vultures and ONE 6 month calf???) Cow was nowhere in sight but boss had a pretty good idea of which cow it was; she'd been off feed last couple days - I'd also noticed her milk production had drastically dropped - and she should have been 195 days.

Boss was pretty sure he knew what had happened, too. He switched feed on the cows, from last-year's silage to fresh cut straight off the fields. I knew moldy hay could cause abortions but I hadn't thought fresh stuff could. Must be moving to really rich feed threw them off. Cow that aborted yesterday is a 1st lactation cow...this is the second time she's slipped a calf. She's history. The other cow is a chronic mastitis case, and this just brings her up on the cull list.

Latest posts