Saving Money

Help Support CattleToday:

Santas and Duhram Reds

Reaction score
At work we have been having a new memo go around everyday with some tip or advice on how to save money this year. Advice from making your own laundry detergent (which we actually have started) to how to manage credit cards tips. Thought something like this might be interesting here.

Any tips on how to save costs or money that you would like to share with everyone else?

The only tips I know on saving money are old hat, but I would be interested in how one goes about making their own laundry detergent. Please feel free to share any other tips you've learned, as well! :)

Homemade Laundry Detergent (approximately 75 cents a gallon)

1/3 bar Fels Naphtha (we have only found this in grocery stores in the Laundry aisle)
1/2 Cup Arm and Hammer Washing Soda (not baking soda, again, have only found this in grocery stores in the Laundry aisle)
1/2 Cup Borax

Grate soap in large sauce pan. Add 6 cups water, place on medium heat until soap melts. Add soda and borax and stir until dissolved. Let remain on heat 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove from het, let stand for 5 more minutes. Pour 1/2 mixture in a gallon container (old laundry soap containers work well) and the other half in another container. Fill each jug with hot water and shake. Let stand 24 hours before using. Shake well before each use since it sometimes separates a little. 1/3 - 2/3 cups per load.

It was mentioned that you can substitute Fels Naphtha with Ivory. You have to use the whole bar and the Ivory is not recommended for hard water.

Only way I have figured out to save money is to not spend any. That is danged near impossible these days.

cowman30":3izi9e0i said:
Only way I have figured out to save money is to not spend any. That is danged near impossible these days.

We were doing pretty good up until about a month ago. 477 foot water well and 1300 foot of power line to it wasn't cheap.

Before that it was grandma at Christmas time. My boss lady is eat up with that grandma syndrom and it does not bother me one iota. :D

Needless to say my piggy bank has fewer nickels in it right now. That rattle inside it might be washers.
:D :D :D

Santas and Duhram Reds":1js8asn2 said:
At work we have been having a new memo go around everyday with some tip or advice on how to save money this year. Advice from making your own laundry detergent (which we actually have started) to how to manage credit cards tips. Thought something like this might be interesting here.

Any tips on how to save costs or money that you would like to share with everyone else?

We've not really done anything, but my wife did go online and sign up on a site called 'Free Stuff" or something like that. Now I know we got on a million mailing lists but she has receive samples of everything you can imagine from washing powder, bars of soap, magazines, diapers, Advil, even a couple of small viles of expensive mens cologne. Heck we've found a use for most of it. I figure it saves us some money but the postman probably hates us.

Don't go out to eat. Figure out what a balanced diet is. Work as many potatoes and beans in to the diet as possible. Then figure out what your most expensive food items are on a montlhy basis and try to grow these yourself.

HerefordSire":1zo0bhov said:
Work as many potatoes and beans in to the diet as possible.

Something we agree on. Spuds, beans and beef makes a pretty good diet as far as I'm concerned. Through in some ham or bacon and eggs and that should do it.

1. Doing a lot of nothing - doesn't tear anthing up and needs no parts.

2. Cook meals at home, no take out, no eat out, no fast food, no putting box in microwave or oven and waiting for a ding (unless it is leftovers).

3. Instead of buying them, I built a few gates out of some old waterpipe for fence project I did last year.

4. Institutional beggars are hearing the words "no, not at this time".

All are pretty routine except #1. Don't let #4 be misunderstood.

Santas and Duhram Reds":234ke7hl said:

#1. When I am just hunting something to do, I get out and clean up my property. Trim trees, pick up sticks, and pick up my ditches. I always have multiple burn piles ready for the right wind. It doesn't cost anything to clean up your crap. It keeps me away from town, and its good exercise. The more you can stay away from town the more money you can save.

#2. Quit buying crap that you really don't "need". It's as hard for me as it is for anybody, but I always ask myself if this is a want or a need.

#3. Walk more. I don't ride as much as I used to, now I walk out my fence lines and walk while checking cows.

#4. Recycle. Some folks call it cheap, but I call it recycling. If it's not broke don't fix it, and if it is broke learn to fix it yourself. If I can save money by fixing some things myself, then I can take that money and buy something that I may really need.

I have spent a lot on fertilizer, lime, and seed in the past. I have come to realize soil test results are a rough guide and effected greatly by the seasonal and the stocking rate. So I cut back on chemical inputs and started to do more bale grazing of purchased hay.

I have tried the full range of supplementing from none to free choice. Most of the benefit on cool season grass seems to be from providing a little energy and fiber during the first 6 to 8 weeks of the grazing season.

May not be many grey haired old ladies here- but I got a good one for them.
Grey hair gets a yellow tinge to it if you try and keep it a little long(or maybe its just my water)
There is a conditioner you can buy thats tinted purple that really helps- but its expensive.

I ran out and had some purple food coloring(paste in a jar) so I made my own out of a cheap bottle of conditioner.
I put some of the paste on a q-tip and dropped it in and shook.
It takes it a day of sitting for the color to blend completely with the conditioner.
The food coloring is a little pricey- but the jar has lasted me two years .

Saves me a special trip to buy the conditioner and around $5/bottle

TREY-L":1t15n3ll said:
#1. When I am just hunting something to do, I get out and clean up my property. Trim trees, pick up sticks, and pick up my ditches. I always have multiple burn piles ready for the right wind. It doesn't cost anything to clean up your crap. It keeps me away from town, and its good exercise. The more you can stay away from town the more money you can save.

Trey that would be a costly killer here. I cleaned brush from the fence row and the tax assessor decided my place was worth another $15K.

It makes me skeared to mow the pasture. No telling what would happen.

Grow and raise your own food :D
I know it sounds silly, but save your spare change. Throw it in a jar or something and roll it up and take it to the bank when it gets full. Boyfriend and I have saved $150 in the past year by doing this...nice to have a little rainy day money. Clip coupons and find some online. Buy store brand...the usual.

backhoeboogie":cfyhjxrn said:
TREY-L":cfyhjxrn said:

Trey that would be a costly killer here. I cleaned brush from the fence row and the tax assessor decided my place was worth another $15K.

Crap! Thanks BHB, I hadn't thought of that! Maybe I can hang some old tires on the fence and drag up a few cars to offset the recent brush clean up. Everyone please disregard #1, as it might actually add cost.

TREY-L":20h476f7 said:
backhoeboogie":20h476f7 said:
TREY-L":20h476f7 said:

Crap! Thanks BHB, I hadn't thought of that! Maybe I can hang some old tires on the fence and drag up a few cars to offset the recent brush clean up. Everyone please disregard #1, as it might actually add cost.

#1 is ok as long as you don;t carry it too far, like actually doing something. Much better to spend hours planning and or thinking about it first.

dun":16krfjbq said:
#1 is ok as long as you don;t carry it too far, like actually doing something. Much better to spend hours planning and or thinking about it first.

Hey, great thought Dun! That would also work. :lol2:

TREY-L":2jps0yrd said:
dun":2jps0yrd said:

Hey, great thought Dun! That would also work. :lol2:

If done right you can spend a lot of time planning and never really have to do anything. I used to deal with an organization that studyed and planned everything to the finest point. After studying something for 4-5 years they would come up with a plan then decide that technology had changed so much since they started the study that they shouldn;t inplement the plan but should start another study. That I;m aware of they milked that for 12 years and never delivered a thing

Latest posts