Save the cow

Help Support CattleToday:

I wasn't aware of cattle being raised in a factory farm. But it's sad that how the current society are like that way. They will find something to complain about and twisting up the truths. It's not funny that some people I know are so removed from the nature and they can't tell the difference between the dairy cow and the elk cow. Vegan diet is most dangerous diet for anyone.

When we lived in calfirnia our farms (different places-different years) were always having the schools bring kids out for the day as a field day. This got me to thinking about the crap that we could have been in if aholes like this had visited or if the social media was prevalent like it is today

Common everyday facts you learn on the farm as a child is a foreign entity to a lot of folks.

backhoeboogie":29js7u2t said:
Common everyday facts you learn on the farm as a child is a foreign entity to a lot of folks.

:nod: I'd venture to say that only 10% of the people in this country could survive if all they had to fall back on were their farming/hunting/growing skills and common sense. (ie. No grocery stores, food stamps, etc. basically if the country was like it was 100 years ago)

JMJ Farms":2gmit3b1 said:
backhoeboogie":2gmit3b1 said:

:nod: I'd venture to say that only 10% of the people in this country could survive if all they had to fall back on were their farming/hunting/growing skills and common sense. (ie. No grocery stores, food stamps, etc. basically if the country was like it was 100 years ago)
I think your grading on the curve bet it is more like 2%.
We would have to shoot the ones that survived in the cities after they finished killing each other when everything ran out.

I read a first hand experience of a guy who lived through the venezuebla economic crash.
It was very enlightening.
Lots of common sense that I hadn't thought of.
I'd high recommend it

Cross-7":2rcqcvrk said:
I read a first hand experience of a guy who lived through the venezuebla economic crash.
I'd high recommend it
Are you sure that was not written by Ferfal on surviving the economic collapse of Argentina .

We are seeing increasing stories about this sort of nonsense (including the other local farm Jon Katz mentioned, which is not far from me). I do think, though, that these instances are getting a lot of media time because it stirs things up and leads to "clicks." I would be willing to bet that public opinion in Setauket (an area I'm familiar with) is running well in favor of the farmer and that most think of Sherriton as a ninny.

Interesting, Katz' postscript that Minnie the cow has been moved off the farm and its owner will no discuss her further. Hopefully, silly Sherriton and her supporters raised a boatload of cash and bought Minnie, and the farmer made out like a bandit.

Caustic Burno":2hx94nsl said:
Cross-7":2hx94nsl said:
I'd high recommend it
Are you sure that was not written by Ferfal on surviving the economic collapse of Argentina .

Yep wrong country
Fernando Ferfal

I'm hesitant to jump in here, but the article stated that the children and their chaperones were introduced to "Minnie the Cow", but then the owners tried to explain the difference between pets and food animals. Maybe naming the cow and introducing it to the children helped to blur the lines between the two?

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any sympathy for the crazy lady that started the mess, it's something to think about.

Cross-7":2bf6jodh said:
Caustic Burno":2bf6jodh said:
Cross-7":2bf6jodh said:
I'd high recommend it

Yep wrong country
Fernando Ferfal

I agree everyone should read that really makes you think.
The amazing part was it happened overnight .

Caustic Burno":2xi9woet said:
I agree everyone should read that really makes you think.
The amazing part was it happened overnight .
The groundwork had been set for quite some time but "does it all sound familiar"?? :nod:

Rafter S":1d42w9pb said:
I'm hesitant to jump in here, but the article stated that the children and their chaperones were introduced to "Minnie the Cow", but then the owners tried to explain the difference between pets and food animals. Maybe naming the cow and introducing it to the children helped to blur the lines between the two?

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any sympathy for the crazy lady that started the mess, it's something to think about.

I agree that in these times, if you are running a "show farm" and part of your bread and butter is bringing in school kids on field trips, I would make a clear distinction between pets and meat animals. If the cow was named with a cutesy name, tame and they were letting the kids pet it etc, the farmers were not thinking ahead very far. I think most cultures have taboos against eating the family pet (whatever species it may be).

I understand what you fellows are getting at about "distinction". And I agree it might be a good idea. But the bottom line is that cow belongs to the farmer and as long as it's done humanely he should be able to do whatever in the he!! He wants to with HIS cow without being harassed.

I think my problem is that I can't come to grips with the fact that I'm a minority based on my lifestyle and my mentality.

boondocks":3740yjrp said:
We are seeing increasing stories about this sort of nonsense (including the other local farm Jon Katz mentioned, which is not far from me). I do think, though, that these instances are getting a lot of media time because it stirs things up and leads to "clicks." I would be willing to bet that public opinion in Setauket (an area I'm familiar with) is running well in favor of the farmer and that most think of Sherriton as a ninny.

Interesting, Katz' postscript that Minnie the cow has been moved off the farm and its owner will no discuss her further. Hopefully, silly Sherriton and her supporters raised a boatload of cash and bought Minnie, and the farmer made out like a bandit.

What that ninny Sherriton (and others of that ilk) doesn't realize is that SUNY Farmingdale used to have a huge Ag program, herds and flocks of food animals. The ninny also doesn't realize that there is (or at least there was) a slaughterhouse in Yaphank. There is still a beef herd at the end of the South Fork of the island, near/in Montauk. I am so sick and tired of this kind of crap. Unfortunately it is more and more common.

We have a new "neighbor" who feels it is their duty, as brand new residents of our state and "neighborhood", to dictate how, where and what people can do with their own belongings on their own properties. :roll: :roll: They haven't "bothered" us, but others have been affected.

JMJ Farms":ngdqgoe6 said:
backhoeboogie":ngdqgoe6 said:

I gotta admit, if I had to survive for very long on the food I grew in a garden or truck patch, I'd probably be eating nothing but beans, squash, & corn pretty quickly, and if it don't stop raining, I wouldn't have that much.

greybeard":hhsi2rvo said:
JMJ Farms":hhsi2rvo said:
backhoeboogie":hhsi2rvo said:

I gotta admit, if I had to survive for very long on the food I grew in a garden or truck patch, I'd probably be eating nothing but beans, squash, & corn pretty quickly, and if it don't stop raining, I wouldn't have that much.

You'D have something to eat. You'd know where to get it.

I'd probably get killed trying to defend what I have here, if they knew. Best fewer people know. I'm off the beaten path. That helps.

Latest posts